SV BOOST Shallow vs. RCS 1012SV

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

SV BOOST Shallow vs. RCS 1012SV

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:00 pm

Which one of these spools is better overall, say for general lighter end baitcaster duties. I would like to swap out my older Zillion SVTW spools for either of these. Haven't had any luck selling those yet, but still tempted to learn about my options.

I think the RCS 1012SV is the lighter of the two, it is listed at 9 grams while holding about 80m of 12lb line. The BOOST Shallow SV spool is listed at 11 grams for the shallow version or the regular version. I am not sure if the 1012SV's weight includes the bearing or not, same goes for the BOOST.

I have heard some on the 1012SV in the past, that it is a fast spool and great for 1/8 and 3/16 duties. Just haven't heard anything mentioned in a while and have never heard much on the new BOOST shallow. The Boost Shallow does come in purple and a few other colors as a bonus though...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV BOOST Shallow vs. RCS 1012SV

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:49 pm

I don't think many people have used the shallow boost spool, especially in different platforms. My experience with the Zillion boost spool was that it was a little more fickle than the 1012/1016 SV. It seemed like it was always a brake dial click or two from line management issues. Plus it didn't agree with lighter baits, quarter ounce or less, as well as the 1012SV. A portion of this has to do with casting style though. I have no issues casting 1/8 oz with small plastic on the 1012SV. If you haven't acquired one yet, I'd highly recommend the Zpi Nrc001-m spool even more so than the 1012SV. Fixed inductor, better consistency, and it will really rip those lighter baits with little concern.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:37 pm

Have you considered the Ray's fixed inductor long cast? They are a little deep but still quite light weight. They are non-dynamic brake spools but for lighter weight baits I find that those don't bomb cast well anyways and the linear mag brake can be set and forget in that every cast is the same. No dynamic element to act up and cause issues with a bait catching the wind. Once dialed in they are dialed in.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:22 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:37 pm
Have you considered the Ray's fixed inductor long cast? They are a little deep but still quite light weight. They are non-dynamic brake spools but for lighter weight baits I find that those don't bomb cast well anyways and the linear mag brake can be set and forget in that every cast is the same. No dynamic element to act up and cause issues with a bait catching the wind. Once dialed in they are dialed in.
Can you provide a link or something for this particular spool? Most of the Ray's I've seen are shallow.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:28 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:22 pm
LowRange wrote:
Can you provide a link or something for this particular spool? Most of the Ray's I've seen are shallow.
Its the one with the 4 position inductor. Neat spool. I find it way too fast in the old weak magnet Steez but it is pretty well liked in the current Steez and Zillion.

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=80168
Attachments
images (44).jpeg
images (44).jpeg (27.71 KiB) Viewed 3189 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:56 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:28 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Its the one with the 4 position inductor. Neat spool. I find it way too fast in the old weak magnet Steez but it is pretty well liked in the current Steez and Zillion.

Thank you

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:09 am

LowRange wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I know you said you found it too fast on an OG Steez, what were you casting with it? Only reason I ask is because I spooled one up with 20# braid to a fluoro leader for 1/2-3/4oz jerkbaits, set the inductor at it's most extended setting and it flat out slings them...! Compared to an OG ZPI 002 (the shallow version) with the same line it's definitely faster. I could run the ZPI at about 3.5 and the Rays at 5.5 or so. I have a casting thumb like an elephant too so I'm sure the heavier lures help in that regard 😂

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:28 am

adam lancia wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:09 am
LowRange wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I know you said you found it too fast on an OG Steez, what were you casting with it? Only reason I ask is because I spooled one up with 20# braid to a fluoro leader for 1/2-3/4oz jerkbaits, set the inductor at it's most extended setting and it flat out slings them...! Compared to an OG ZPI 002 (the shallow version) with the same line it's definitely faster. I could run the ZPI at about 3.5 and the Rays at 5.5 or so. I have a casting thumb like an elephant too so I'm sure the heavier lures help in that regard 😂
I was throwing a 3/8 oz Fritside crank. That spool was way too fast in the old SS SV or Steez LTD but did great with an IS magnet swap and in the LIN10 which leads me to belive it is better for the newer stronger magnet reels.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:05 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:28 am
adam lancia wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:09 am
LowRange wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

I was throwing a 3/8 oz Fritside crank. That spool was way too fast in the old SS SV or Steez LTD but did great with an IS magnet swap and in the LIN10 which leads me to belive it is better for the newer stronger magnet reels.
Aerodynamics probably play a part in the differences we're seeing, the weight a little too. I might have to try it in my IS though, just to see if I can get a little adjustment range out of it, for the sake of science of course 😂

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:31 am

So back to questioning these spools, is there a problem with say using the RCS 1012SV in the newest Zillion TW HD? I have considered that reel for the paint job and I like 100mm handles, but am not a fan of the Mag-Z Boost spool. I'd rather have a Boost SV Shallow, or maybe even the 1012SV. Just wondered if the o-ring on the spool or any other design affected placement in the newer reels.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat May 13, 2023 5:08 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:31 am
So back to questioning these spools, is there a problem with say using the RCS 1012SV in the newest Zillion TW HD? I have considered that reel for the paint job and I like 100mm handles, but am not a fan of the Mag-Z Boost spool. I'd rather have a Boost SV Shallow, or maybe even the 1012SV. Just wondered if the o-ring on the spool or any other design affected placement in the newer reels.
I have 1012 SV G1 coming for my Zillion TW HD too. I don’t think it is gonna be any problem because I have used AMO deep spool and Ray’s shallow spool with this reel with no problem. Im trying to figure out which spool to go with my lefty Zillion SV TW and which one stay with my righty Zillion HD. I’m tired of stripping all the line out when switching reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 14, 2023 3:58 am

Just_Bass wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:08 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:31 am
I have 1012 SV G1 coming for my Zillion TW HD too. I don’t think it is gonna be any problem because I have used AMO deep spool and Ray’s shallow spool with this reel with no problem. Im trying to figure out which spool to go with my lefty Zillion SV TW and which one stay with my righty Zillion HD. I’m tired of stripping all the line out when switching reel.
I have also noticed that the spool pin side of some spools is thicker. Not sure that makes a huge difference, but I think that is what Shimano is currently calling Infinity Drive on casting reels. My Steez A had a thicker shaft, but the other 1016 spools had a thinner one. Unfortunately, the actual spool pin is the same thickness, so if you have experienced that rocking inside the pinion, a thicker shaft won't fix it. I have never had that issue, but do see where a tighter fit inside the pinion and for the spool pin would be beneficial.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 15, 2023 10:43 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:49 pm
I don't think many people have used the shallow boost spool, especially in different platforms. My experience with the Zillion boost spool was that it was a little more fickle than the 1012/1016 SV. It seemed like it was always a brake dial click or two from line management issues. Plus it didn't agree with lighter baits, quarter ounce or less, as well as the 1012SV. A portion of this has to do with casting style though. I have no issues casting 1/8 oz with small plastic on the 1012SV. If you haven't acquired one yet, I'd highly recommend the Zpi Nrc001-m spool even more so than the 1012SV. Fixed inductor, better consistency, and it will really rip those lighter baits with little concern.

I agree 100%

If you need more line capacity get a G1 1016
I have a silver wolf spool here to drop in a Steez it’s a fast spool but if you go light it’s not uncontrollable. The shallow Z boost is okay but it’s not the first spool I’d choose
Personally I think you’d be happy with a KTF spool with the right person to clean polish and tune your reel but if you she to just go all out naked just get the 1012
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 15, 2023 10:50 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 10:43 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:49 pm
[/q

I agree 100%

If you need more line capacity get a G1 1016
I have a silver wolf spool here to drop in a Steez it’s a fast spool but if you go light it’s not uncontrollable. The shallow Z boost is okay but it’s not the first spool I’d choose
Personally I think you’d be happy with a KTF spool with the right person to clean polish and tune your reel but if you she to just go all out naked just get the 1012
I have the KTF Neo versatile in my Zillion SV TW. It's pretty dang good. Kind of a Jack of all trades. Very versatile and consistent. I can turn the brake dial down to 2 or 3, where with my Zpi Nrc001-m I rarely go below 6 or 7.