Do you still use Boca Bearings inside your reels?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Do you still use Boca Bearings inside your reels?

Post by a1712 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:55 am

I've always used BOCA Lightings. The last 2 orders I've received have been garbage. They've all become loud and geary after a few uses. They were all oiled before use and after use. Don't know what happened, I swore by them previously. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:49 am

I stopped using Boca bearings about 5 years ago, I saw quality declining and I felt I was getting no more from Boca than I was from cheap bulk China bearings that were 1/5 the cost. In the reels that I actually swap bearings (usually only my bfs reels) I use hedgehog bearings and a couple of my reels have roro bearings which I've had good luck with so far. Stock Daiwa and Shimano bearings are in most of my general purpose reels and work great with a simple flush and re-lube.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:33 am

tincanary wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:14 am
I've found some nice ceramic hybrids on AliExpress and liked them enough to order more. I have used Boca in years past and felt they were very noisy and not worth the money. The AE bearings I've been getting are much more quiet and they spin very well. Best of all they run less than $2 each. A 10 pack is cheaper than a pair of Boca Lightning bearings. I've replaced the bearings in all of my small Ambassadeurs with the JZN bearings I found on AE. I even like them more than Hedgehog Air bearings I was running previously. That said, I'm not going to replace the bearings on my JDM stuff as they are plenty good from the factory. Don't fix what isn't broken.

What are or who is AE bearings. Thanks in advance

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:10 am

AE=AliExpress

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:48 pm

These ones I find extremely good, silent compared to others I've bought.

I tested every one for the last 4 batches and not one dud...
Attachments
Screenshot_20240129-094427.jpg
JZN bearings
Screenshot_20240129-094427.jpg (25.31 KiB) Viewed 954 times

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:47 am

I ended up ordering AE Hybrids as I was very unhappy with the performance (freespin, feel choked off at the end of the cast throwing 1/4 oz stuff with braid) of the stock Alphas SV TW 800s ones and Hedgehog doesn’t have the right size for the one on the spool.
Dry, the AE bearing itself spins forever. Very impressive.
Now with the bearings swapped, it feels like I’ve enabled long cast mode on the Alphas (plural, 3).
Ofc I ordered more to play around. For the Metanium it didn’t do much. Not nearly as much as for the Alphas.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:19 am

I bought couple hybrid bearings from JZN store, when somebody mentioned them first a year or two ago, and really impressed with a quality. The only issue with them - you can't remove protective shields. Wish they would come with one side opened.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:32 pm

Cracker wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:19 am
The only issue with them - you can't remove protective shields. Wish they would come with one side opened.
Just push them out, simples.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:41 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:47 am
I ended up ordering AE Hybrids as I was very unhappy with the performance (freespin, feel choked off at the end of the cast throwing 1/4 oz stuff with braid) of the stock Alphas SV TW 800s ones and Hedgehog doesn’t have the right size for the one on the spool.
Dry, the AE bearing itself spins forever. Very impressive.
Now with the bearings swapped, it feels like I’ve enabled long cast mode on the Alphas (plural, 3).
Ofc I ordered more to play around. For the Metanium it didn’t do much. Not nearly as much as for the Alphas.
Tha Alphas TW reels I own disappointed me quite a bit initially. I flushed the bearings and relubed them with light oil and they cast great now. Same with the Tat 80s I own. Daiwa has really packed the bearings full of grease on their reels the last few years.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:03 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:48 pm
These ones I find extremely good, silent compared to others I've bought.

I tested every one for the last 4 batches and not one dud...
I use these ceramic hybrids on all my internal bearings inside a steez. Did the whole 2023 with them, and its beed excellent, and i've never had a reel that feels this free to turn the handle on.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:45 am

Cracker wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:19 am
I bought couple hybrid bearings from JZN store, when somebody mentioned them first a year or two ago, and really impressed with a quality. The only issue with them - you can't remove protective shields. Wish they would come with one side opened.
They come out easy with an awl. I stab them until the shield bends then use a fine flathead to pry it out. I've done it to 10 sets already and haven't damaged one.