A source for 4x7x2.5mm bearings?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: A source for 4x7x2.5mm bearings?

Post by adam lancia » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:37 am

Slazmo wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:56 pm
Cracker wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:44 pm
if you want your knobs spin for ~15sec or more.
Is this a thing these days?
I personally am not concerned about free spin on my knob bearings. I ensure they're smooth which usually means they get a very light brushing of old school Woods green bearing grease. Same with frame bearings actually. The only bearings I go to lengths to ensure they are as free as possible are spool bearings.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:27 am

Slazmo wrote:
Cracker wrote:
If they only spin for 5 seconds that extra turning effort could lead to exhaustion, this is true statement, based on prior like threads.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:32 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:27 am
Slazmo wrote:
Cracker wrote:
If they only spin for 5 seconds that extra turning effort could lead to exhaustion, this is true statement, based on prior like threads.
If I get to that stage of "physical fitness", you can be sure the DNR order will be well known to those in charge of that decision :lol:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:56 am

Could turn this wasted physical exhaustion into generating electricity through miniature handle knob dynamo's to power a little personal oscillating fan on the back of the reel to keep you cool, I mean for kicks it could come with a a reading light in future generations that you can unlock with a app.

But I digress...

Biggest annoyance is poor shimming of a handle knob bearing and when they've rusted solid into the knob itself or onto the alloy shaft. A good ZZ shielded 304 stainless steel bearing filled with grease is the way to go inho.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:21 pm

cadman wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:04 pm
Mike son wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:29 pm
I'm the OP and didn't order them from avidrc as the metal bearings don't appear to have removable shields. They look to be the same as the gritty ones I bought from ebay and presumably the same from some manufacturer in China. I could have sworn my original bulk order of bearings in 4x7x2.5mm had removable shields and they were fine. I'm passively looking for another source but I'm not thrilled with my options as I have no experience with any of the different sellers' products. I'm in northern Illinois too, west suburbs, and there are some hobbie shops around me that should have bearings, I just haven't gotten around to calling them to find out about their bearings.
Did you try Smooth Drag. Dawn sells bearings and Carbontex drag sets. I have used her bearings and have never had an issue. I believe they are about $6 to $7 a bearing.
No. I could just get Shimano OEM ones, they're $4.xx/per. I guess I really don't need too many bearings, just levelwind bearings on several reels. BOCA wants $25.xx per four bearings.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:49 am

For handle bearings I usually just get stainless bearings from TRB RC, they even have cheap ceramics that actually are pretty decent for the money.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:23 pm

Mike son wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:21 pm
cadman wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:04 pm
Mike son wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:29 pm
I'm the OP and didn't order them from avidrc as the metal bearings don't appear to have removable shields. They look to be the same as the gritty ones I bought from ebay and presumably the same from some manufacturer in China. I could have sworn my original bulk order of bearings in 4x7x2.5mm had removable shields and they were fine. I'm passively looking for another source but I'm not thrilled with my options as I have no experience with any of the different sellers' products. I'm in northern Illinois too, west suburbs, and there are some hobbie shops around me that should have bearings, I just haven't gotten around to calling them to find out about their bearings.
Did you try Smooth Drag. Dawn sells bearings and Carbontex drag sets. I have used her bearings and have never had an issue. I believe they are about $6 to $7 a bearing.
No. I could just get Shimano OEM ones, they're $4.xx/per. I guess I really don't need too many bearings, just levelwind bearings on several reels. BOCA wants $25.xx per four bearings.
Ted, could you add a link to BOCA? The one I have doesn't work.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:29 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:23 pm

Mark, I'm not sure if you wanted a link to Boca or Smooth drag, so I gave you both.

https://www.smoothdrag.com/wp/

https://www.bocabearings.com/?gclid=Cj0 ... qREALw_wcB

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:24 pm

cadman wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:29 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:23 pm

Mark, I'm not sure if you wanted a link to Boca or Smooth drag, so I gave you both.

https://www.smoothdrag.com/wp/

https://www.bocabearings.com/?gclid=Cj0 ... qREALw_wcB
Thanks Ted.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:29 pm

cadman wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:07 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:37 pm

Wow, that's crazy! Knob bearings I just installed, I didn't flush them or anything, as long as they felt smooth before installation.

The metal shields bearings I've gotten from them in the past have all had removable shields. The rubber shields on the Revolutions were also removable.
I still have some of their bearings. I will try this again and see what happens. If I remember correctly, their metal shields didn't come off when I tried to pry them off. I will do this, this weekend and report back.
So I took 2 of there bearings out of the package and like before they didn't spin. So I let them soak in naphtha for 1/2 hour and still didn't spin. I then put them on a stick chucked in my cordless drill and spun them in naphtha for (2) 30 second intervals. First jar to get the grease out and second jar was filled with clean naphtha. Took them both out and they finally spun. Now, I normally don't do this process. What I normally do is put the bearings in a small jar of naphtha and put that in my ultrasonic cleaner filled with water. I heat the water pretty hot and clean them that way never had any issues with any other bearings. After I cleaned these two bearings I put them in my ultrasonic cleaner with the hot water and when I took them out the bearings did not want to spin. So my guess is that these bearing must have plastic cages or something inside the bearing and the heat from the ultrasonic cleaner deforms it leaving the bearings useless. I have never seen this before. This is just my experiment whether it has any validity to it or not, but I won't be purchasing their bearings. JMO

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:23 pm

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:37 am

mark poulson wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:23 pm
Ted,
Have you tried Aliexpess?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22558005 ... -Vjl7p90YQ
No Mark, I have not . I will have to try some and see how they work out.

Thanx