Re-assembling anti-reverse claw on Lews Speed Spool BB-1LG Reel

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re-assembling anti-reverse claw on Lews Speed Spool BB-1LG Reel

Post by cadman » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:33 am

I am stumped on this one. I took apart a Lews BB-1LG for a friend to clean. If you see pic 2 you can see the anti-reverse claw neatly tucked in at the bottom of the pic (this pic was taken before I un-assembled it). After I cleaned and started to re-assemble it (See pic 3) I cannot get the anti- reverse claw down far enough so I can put the side plate cover on without putting the claw in front, behind or straddling the silver gear. The ant-reverse claw is the part above the main brass gear which has the copper part with the dimple on it. So if you look at pic (4,5,6 and7), you will see the anti-reverse claw not in position yet and I assume the anti-reverse gear (silver) behind the main brass gear. Does the anti-reverse claw go behind the silver gear or straddle the silver gear or go in front of the silver gear. It seems that when I put it in back or in front of the silver gear the side plate fits but the anti-reverse doesn't work. If I put it on top of the silver gear, the anti-reverse works, but I can't get the side plate to close because the ant-reverse claw is in the way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Re-assembling anti-reverse claw on Lews Speed Spool BB-1LG Reel

Post by tincanary » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:05 am

The AR pawl has two copper leafs, those are supposed to grip both sides of the ratchet gear, the straight toothed gear in your pics. When reassembling, install the AR pawl on to the ratchet gear first, then seat the driveshaft and at the same time, seat the AR pawl on the stud.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:59 am

tincanary,
I read your post and tried it. Thank you very much. You hit the nail on the head and it worked for me. Your explanation was right on. I should have taken more pics before I disassembled that gear set. Thanks Again for your time and assistance.

(Cadman)

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:27 am

cadman wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:59 am
tincanary,
I read your post and tried it. Thank you very much. You hit the nail on the head and it worked for me. Your explanation was right on. I should have taken more pics before I disassembled that gear set. Thanks Again for your time and assistance.

(Cadman)
You're welcome. Happens to the best of us lol. I'm currently in the same predicament. A customer of mine dropped of an old Kencor Spinit he wants set up for fishing king salmon. The fun part, I cannot find a schematic for this reel anywhere and I took it apart without taking pics along the way :oops: . Kencor was the company founded by Kenny Kawakami, the very first president of Daiwa USA. He ran both companies at the same time, making his Kencor fiberglass rods in his garage by night and having his reels manufactured in Japan. They were hugely popular in the 1970s in California.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:06 pm

tincanary
I try to take as many pics on a new reel I clean as possible. Sometimes I just don't take the pics I need. It's always like that when you think it is simple. Out of curiosity do you know roughly what year the Lews BB-1GL was made?