TD Ito 103 M Spool compatibility?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
zrocketman
Angler
Angler

TD Ito 103 M Spool compatibility?

Post by zrocketman » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:45 am

Hi Guys, I have a TD Ito 103 M with its original spool. It's been sitting on my shelf being pretty and all but wanted to used the spool and save the body.

Does anyone know the compatibility of the TD Ito spool in newer reels? Will the spool fit into newer Daiwa 103 reels like the limited edition tatula 103?

Or does anyone have recommendations for reels that I could put the Ito spool into?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TD Ito 103 M Spool compatibility?

Post by Cal » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:52 am

My spool swapping knowledge with Daiwa reels gets hazy once we begin discussing TWS enabled reels. That spool in the TD-Ito will fit all non TWS Steez reels. That much I know and remember.

The difficulty you might have with the Tatula Limited is if it is like the other Tatula reels I've fished and lacking the free floating spool design, then the TD-Ito spool will definitely not work.

I'm sure others with more recent experience will chime in though.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:24 pm

It should fit in most newer 34mm reels, that are free floating - no shaft. How it will perform is a different story. Trial and error. Magnet strength will determine how fast or restricted.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 01, 2022 12:10 pm

zrocketman wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:45 am
Hi Guys, I have a TD Ito 103 M with its original spool. It's been sitting on my shelf being pretty and all but wanted to used the spool and save the body.

Does anyone know the compatibility of the TD Ito spool in newer reels? Will the spool fit into newer Daiwa 103 reels like the limited edition tatula 103?

Or does anyone have recommendations for reels that I could put the Ito spool into?
It will fit other short shaft 34mm reels. It will not fit any of the Tatulas. Also avoid the old pre-tws Steez. These have very weak magnets that don't play well with that speedy spool.

Tejota Bettio
Angler
Angler

Post by Tejota Bettio » Sat May 28, 2022 1:49 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:10 pm
zrocketman wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:45 am

It will fit other short shaft 34mm reels. It will not fit any of the Tatulas. Also avoid the old pre-tws Steez. These have very weak magnets that don't play well with that speedy spool.
Spot on !! I do not own a TD Ito 103M but only a normal TD 103ML, if the magnet is like that one it will fit the 34mm and you are spoiled for choices.