Can I remove reverse switch & parts for Shimano Vanford 500?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Can I remove reverse switch & parts for Shimano Vanford 500?

Post by ultralight » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:36 am

The entire Vanford line does not have a reverse switch where one can back reel.

However, the tiny little 500 has a reverse switch. Can this be removed and set permanently to just turn in one direction? And if yes, how many parts would I remove? And is it difficult to do so?

Thanks in advance for any insight. :)

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Can I remove reverse switch & parts for Shimano Vanford 500?

Post by ss30378 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:04 am

There are 3 parts involved with the on/off AR setup. The Cam, spring, and switch. My soare 500 (since sold) was the same reel just different color scheme so I don't have one in front to verify but depending on the cam position for unlocking it may be possible. If the cam presses on the AR bearing to release it to reel backwards then removing it all together would probably keep it in the locked/cant backreel position.

But my question is what is the purpose of wanting to do it? It would leave a hole in the body if you removed it that could get crud in it.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Can I remove reverse switch & parts for Shimano Vanford 500?

Post by ultralight » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:09 pm

Thank you! It would actually make it more water resistant. Right now, the switch is just a nice hole for water to get in. That's what started me thinking about taking the switch out.

Also, thi means that I can't accidentally flip it. It should also reduce the weight by a few grams... :whistle: