Steez SV 103H ticking/clacking sound when casting

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez SV 103H ticking/clacking sound when casting

Post by hmnginmn » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:12 am

Anyone familiar with this issue? I swapped the spool from another 103H and the issue was still present.

I don't think it's a bearing issue. Has anyone had this same issue and as been able to diagnose the issue? It literally only makes the sound when casting and I've tried adjusting tension knob, less/more didn't matter. Sounds still here. The retrieve with drag on is generally pretty smooth but has a little tick or two every handle turn.

Im guessing it's the pinion gear? But it looks OK in my eyes. But the Spool pin also looks ok. Pinion and Main Gear swap was going to be my next steps but just wanted 2nd opinions.

Thanks as always!
Attachments
IMG_18032022_120643_(400_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_18032022_120643_(400_x_600_pixel).jpg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
IMG_18032022_120657_(400_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_18032022_120657_(400_x_600_pixel).jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Long live the Jerkbait

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez SV 103H ticking/clacking sound when casting

Post by Tony9 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:30 am

The pinion should not be engaged when casting.

I would check the palm side spool bearing first since you already swapped spools with the same result.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:40 am

When casting? Is it towards the end of the cast and only one clack? You might be hearing the inductor seat against the spool. If its multiple ticks felt on the cast but no "clack" noise then its possibly a non handle side spool bearing issue. If it's when cranking on the handle then it is the play in the handle crank shaft and frame. If it clacks many times when reeling with no load then it's the spool pin bouncing around in the pinion yoke.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:42 am

Also could be a burr on the end of the plastic pinion support shaft

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:58 am

Tony9 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:30 am
The pinion should not be engaged when casting.

I would check the palm side spool bearing first since you already swapped spools with the same result.
I checked that bearing. It appears to be good and doesn't make the clacking sounds when I disengage the reel and spin the spool by hand. I think the sound is only present at higher velocity. I'll double check though.
Long live the Jerkbait

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:30 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:40 am
When casting? Is it towards the end of the cast and only one clack? You might be hearing the inductor seat against the spool. If its multiple ticks felt on the cast but no "clack" noise then its possibly a non handle side spool bearing issue. If it's when cranking on the handle then it is the play in the handle crank shaft and frame. If it clacks many times when reeling with no load then it's the spool pin bouncing around in the pinion yoke.
It's definitely coming from the handle side of the reel. I swapped the side plates and spool from another reel and the other reel did not have the same issue. I'll check the plastic pinion support shaft too. If I recall, the bearing retainer might not have been fully seated on the cast control knob bearing. I will double check that too.

The clacking is constant through a cast but not present during and hand spun free spool when the clutch is disengaged. Clacking comes when the spool spins quickly. Thank you for you insight!
Long live the Jerkbait

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:55 pm

Now I'm REALLY lost.

I also did find that if I spun the handle really fast and let it go, the clacking sound will appear. This is because the spool is moving fast enough.

I broke it down side by side with the other 103H.

Swapped handle side plates, clacking sound still present. Ruled out the cast control bearing.

Swapped main and pinion gear. No improvement.

Then I tried swapping the spool and side plate with the other 103h. Clacking is gone. Both reels are perfect. Swapped the spools back and still. Perfect...

I'm have no the slightest clue what just happened... Ugh.. I'm willing to bet the sound will come back on a hard cast.
Long live the Jerkbait