Rotor swap

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Rotor swap

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:37 pm

Just curious how hard it is to swap out a spool rotor and do I need a special tool? I'm wanting to put an r+ rotor and blocks on a 100m spool. Thanks

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Rotor swap

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:45 pm

It's as close as I come to using expletives.....and I mean every time I do it, which has been many times. The parts will go flying due to the spring and no good way to hold the rotor in the correct position until the c-clip is re-installed, so do the swap with the spool and both hands inside a 1-gallon ziploc baggie. I have a pair of small, spring-loaded needle nose pliers with tape to hold the jaws the correct width apart, in order to remove and re-install said demonic clip/spring combo. I have learned also to use a thick piece of cardboard with a hole for the spool shaft to sit in. This at least keeps the spool from rocking while you push down to compress the spring.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:19 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:45 pm
It's as close as I come to using expletives.....and I mean every time I do it, which has been many times. The parts will go flying due to the spring and no good way to hold the rotor in the correct position until the c-clip is re-installed, so do the swap with the spool and both hands inside a 1-gallon ziploc baggie. I have a pair of small, spring-loaded needle nose pliers with tape to hold the jaws the correct width apart, in order to remove and re-install said demonic clip/spring combo. I have learned also to use a thick piece of cardboard with a hole for the spool shaft to sit in. This at least keeps the spool from rocking while you push down to compress the spring.
Sounds like I'm going to end up looking for someone else to do it.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:06 pm

Hahahaha

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:40 am

Ended up giving it a shot last night and it went well. Started off feeling like I needed a third hand to get the c clip back on but got it on the 3rd try and didn't scratch anything up so that was nice.

Thanks for the help and tips.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:31 am

It can be infuriating at times, easy other times. Glad you got it done.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:19 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:31 am
It can be infuriating at times, easy other times. Glad you got it done.
I could definitely see how it could have become infuriating. I definitely got lucky this time. Hopefully the next two go just as smooth. Thanks for the help.