replacement knobs...

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

replacement knobs...

Post by Mizmo »

I just changed out my old dinged up nut less handle on my Scorpion 1000 with a larger 84mm (I think that is the size) handle. It seems to me that the knobs are of the older style Shimano's and I was wondering if - 1. Can I replace these knobs and 2. Can or will the newer black ergonomic (if that is a way of describing them) knobs fit??? Any help would be great and links to replacement knobs would be useful too. I got the handle from "Heartland Tackle" but I don't remember seeing any replacement knobs on his page...

Thanks in advance.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: replacement knobs...

Post by Cal »

Mizmo,

I see that Jim at Heartland carries the old Chronarch SF handles in 80mm as a replacement for the Scorp... price is 15.99. Is this the handle you purchased? It's the same style as the original Scorp handle (nutless) but longer. If this is the handle you purchased, with the knobs the same as those in this photograph:

I'm pretty certain you cannot change the knobs out. I believe those are riveted in. :( ... I think I still have a Chron SF in my reel vault and I can check, but wanted to get this message to you before you started ordering knobs.

Your alternative would be to call Shimano USA and order a Calais 200/201 handle for the Scorp in the proper left or right hand retrieve. These handles come with bearing supported septon grips that are ergonomically countoured... my absolute favorite knobs at this moment.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"
Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo »

Yep, that looks like the one Cal... Thanks for the info and I'll check on the Calais handle and that was the word i was looking for "septon."
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal »

Mizmo,

Ok.. had some time to check out my Chron SF's handle. Actually, the knobs are removeable, but the shaft that supports the stock knobs has some machined ridges that will preclude installation of replacement knobs. Here are some photographs:
Attachments
In order for other knobs to fit, the shaft should look something like this...
In order for other knobs to fit, the shaft should look something like this...
IMG_0757.JPG (42.69 KiB) Viewed 7064 times
The ridge at the center of this post will make it pretty much impossible to mount replacement knobs...
The ridge at the center of this post will make it pretty much impossible to mount replacement knobs...
IMG_0754.JPG (50.29 KiB) Viewed 7064 times
If you see a screw head like this in any knob, it is removeable. A flat plate means it's rivetted on and not removeable...
If you see a screw head like this in any knob, it is removeable. A flat plate means it's rivetted on and not removeable...
IMG_0752.JPG (32.42 KiB) Viewed 7064 times
You need to pop this cap off to gain access to the securing device for the knobs.. this is true of most any handle/knob.
You need to pop this cap off to gain access to the securing device for the knobs.. this is true of most any handle/knob.
IMG_0753.JPG (34.84 KiB) Viewed 7064 times
Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo »

yep, the first pic is the style of the handle i got from Heartland... I'm in the process of talking with Shimano about the Calais handle.

Thanks again.
Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo »

just ordered a Calais handle for the Scorp and it was about 74 bucks, darn close to the cost of the reel itself (sort of)... Guess this handle will be the cats meow, eh...
SpecksReds
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SpecksReds »

I've been cleaning some Shimano reel's up for a local Guide and I have a little tuning trick for these none bearing handle's. If you polish the shaft's on your reel handle and then grease them they won't spin like bearing supported knob's do but they are smooth as glass when you crank them.
Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo »

How are you polishing the posts???? with emery (sp) cloth. what grease you using???

THKS
SpecksReds
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SpecksReds »

You will need the following supplies Dremel tool,800 grit wet&dry and 1500 grit wet&dry sand paper that you can purchase from your local Wal-Mart automotive section and then you can use Brasso polish but Happitch Simichrome is a lot better you can order this from
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/br ... ring=10612***
Sand first with the 800 grit then the 1500 grit sandpaper clean uppost with a solvent to get the sanding dust left behind then you can polish them. You will end up with a mirror like finish that you can see yourself in. If your into tweaking things you can polish the friction ring (this is what your brake blocks run on) Using the same technique I described above but you will need a couple of different gadgets for your Dremel. I use a small wooden dowel with a slit. I cut my sandpaper strips 3/8'" wide and slid the sandpaper into the slit and then sand the friction ring same procedure as above. Then with the small wooden dowel take some cotton from a cotton ball and spin your Dremel while you apply some cotton to the dowel it will stick to it and then you use this to polish your friction ring with this. This does wonders to how well this reel will cast after. Hope this helps . If not just ask I'm available to fellow tweakers. I have used Cal's 2 speed grease for awhile for all my greasy needs gears, levelwinds and drag washers :lol: http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html
Mizmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mizmo »

thanks spec, seems as i need to get into the reel repair and tweaking area to full fill my jedi training, LOL... anyway, thanks for the advise fellow.