Steez noise diagnosis help

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez noise diagnosis help

Post by NYBASSIN » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:15 pm

I have a Steez 105 LTD sometimes when I press the clutch and re-engage the reel I get a zzzzzzz sound. I took it apart looked everything over and cleaned it. Despite everything looking ok, the noise still happens. It seems to me it is coming from the way the gears are meshing but physically they look ok. Any ideas what this could be?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez noise diagnosis help

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:35 pm

Check the spool pin for damage. If it is scarred up it can cause the pinion to fail to engage fully. You can also try a different spool.

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NYBASSIN » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:46 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:35 pm
Check the spool pin for damage. If it is scarred up it can cause the pinion to fail to engage fully. You can also try a different spool.
HOLY $**T dude, you are the man. Swapped spools and could not duplicate the problem. Never would have considered this on my own. Gotta love TackleTour first post solves the problem. Thank you IlliniDawg01.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:15 am

NYBASSIN wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:46 pm
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
HOLY $**T dude, you are the man. Swapped spools and could not duplicate the problem. Never would have considered this on my own. Gotta love TackleTour first post solves the problem. Thank you IlliniDawg01.
No problem. I had the same problem with a Z200H. Spent a bunch of time messing with the clutch springs and pinion springs then noticed the spool pin was gnarly. Viola.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:42 am

NYBASSIN wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:46 pm
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
This is a common problem. Sounds like the reel has been engaged mid-cast at some point. If the spool pin is damaged, then the pinion gear could also be damaged at the edges of the slots. Look closely there; if it is damaged, a fine file like an emery board for fingernails can be used to carefully remove any burrs or abnormal spots on/in the edges of the slots. If you do this, be sure to clean that pinion thoroughly to remove any fine metal dust, then re-lube it before putting it back into the reel. I would also recommend adding a new spool pin. Since it is a harder material(stainless against brass), it could actually cause further damage to the pinion gear.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NYBASSIN » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:03 am

There was a tiny burr on the spool pin. So small I can’t even believe it was able to cause the problem, but that was indeed the case. I was able to file it and everything is working fine. Have a couple new ones on the way regardless.

I don’t recall ever engaging the reel mid-cast. I bought the spool used so something could have happened before I got it, but I have used it for a season or more and don’t remember it happening before.

I think I may have damaged it with the hedgehog spool pin removal tool. Anyway glad it’s taken care of and thank for the help.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:44 am

@NYBASSSIN, welcome to the forum!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.