Daiwa Round Reel Questions

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
bmadd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Round Reel Questions

Post by bmadd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:24 am

I'm looking at possibly swapping handles, drag stars, and cast control knobs on a few round reels and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the normal handles/drag stars/cast control caps will fit the Millionaire S and CVZ reels as well as the Lunas?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Round Reel Questions

Post by poisonokie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Good luck. I gave up trying to find a swept star to fit. The collar on it is really shallow, so any of the swept stars will either contact the CCC or butt up against the handle or both. A 100mm swept star will work with the stock drag star, but if you want a 90 or 80 you're out of luck unless you bend the drag star tines yourself. I was just talking to Winstondry about this yesterday. It may be possible if there's a different driveshaft you can swap into it, say from a newer Alphas variant, as the length/dimensions of the stock shaft seems to be the limiting factor. I just said to hell with it and went with a straight 80mm handle myself.

The only thing I didn't try was a smaller cast control cap from an Alphas. That could possibly work, but I like the stock chrome one myself.
This is the way.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:38 pm

CV z shares many of the parts from the Alpha/SV105 reels. Use the SV105 star drag with the longer SV105 drive shaft will cure clearance issues. Make sure to get all the associated drive shaft washers from the SV105. The red pixy type r CC cap fits as do the SV105 black caps.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:11 am

I dont think the CVZ has a clicking drag star, so the swept Alphas variants should work fine. I know they will because another member here has got a couple Alphas stars from me and put them on his CVZ-frame reels. He sent pics and said the reels work fine.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:15 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:11 am
I dont think the CVZ has a clicking drag star, so the swept Alphas variants should work fine. I know they will because another member here has got a couple Alphas stars from me and put them on his CVZ-frame reels. He sent pics and said the reels work fine.
I'm pretty sure you will need to use the pixy/sv105 cast control cap for clearance issues. The CVZ's and early squared CC caps still interfere with the Star drag IIRC.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 am

He just added another spacer washer on top of the drag spring washers. This works fine, but you will not get full drag relief when you back the star all the way off. It does back off enough to keep the drag spring washers from losing their convex/concave memory.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.