Supertuning/Modifying your reels...

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Supertuning/Modifying your reels...

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:52 am

Lets get some posts from the many on here that like to play with their toys. What are some of your usual things you do to your reels once you get them? This should help people that are searching for ideas on things to do when modifying reels.

=D>
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Supertuning/Modifying your reels...

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 am

If it's an older reel, first thing on my list is Carbontex. I don't bother with any Daiwa made since 2012 or 13 because it doesn't seem like there's any performance to be gained in that respect. I'm becoming more and more enamoured with spool bearings and HH/SLP parts, whether or not they actually contribute anything beyond the cosmetic. Some reels simply need a different spool in order to shine.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:49 am

I used to put upgrded bearings in all my reels, then I got to the point that I didnt think the slight gains were worth the extra coin. I like to dress up my reels cosmetically now, just to make them unique and to stand out fom the crowd, so to speak. Carbontex is a must on older Daiwa reels and most Shimano reels imo. I've always thought the dartanium drag washers weren't smooth at all under high drag settings, and the setting seemed to fade quickly if a fish took a lot of line at once. Older Daiwas, even the TDZ's, were guilty of a shuddering, stuttering drag at high pressure, as well. I think Carbontex is the single best upgrade you can do to a reel, because a smooth drag at any setting gives you you best chance to land that once-in-a-lifetime fish once you hook it.
Btw, I agree whole-heartedly about spool swapping to improve a reels performance.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:50 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:49 am
Older Daiwas, even the TDZ's, were guilty of a shuddering, stuttering drag at high pressure, as well.
Those original TDZs had terrible drag washers... any bit of oil in there and the drag was useless.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:51 am

I superttune my reels by buying another, more expensive one :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:58 am

OG reels (Steez, TD-Z, etc.)
  • complete disassembly and cleaned in an ultrasonic
  • polished following this post and additional discussion with "ChuckE" 'back in the day'
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtdsolpolishing.html
  • lubed with Super Lube and TS-321, as appropriate
  • Carbontex drag
  • added actual ABEC #9 spool bearings
The above work was done on those reels 6-8 years ago and they are still 'smooth as silk', so it will probably be awhile before another full maintenance.

New reels (Steez SV TW, Zillion SV TW, morethan PE TW, etc.)
  • complete disassembly and cleaned in an ultrasonic
  • lubed with Super Lube and TS-321, as appropriate
  • updated spool bearings (actual ABEC #9, Hedgehog Air, German ceramics)
  • ZPI PG and M spools for the Steez and Zillion
This is done to all new reels. Sometimes the gears are relatively 'dry' and, in any case, the stock lubrication used is unknown. And stock spool bearings are flushed and relubed or replaced.

Doc

Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 pm

I have a couple OG Fuego casting reels I have been considering a tune up. Any suggestions to keep the budget low but soup these up a bit?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:51 am
I even supe those up, hell. :big grin:
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:46 am

In order of priority.
Old reels:
Better spool, carbontex, ZPI bearings, handle bearings, clean-lube tsi321.

New reels:
Extra/aftermarket spool, tsi321, handle bearings, only rarely new ZPI bearings because I feel the benefit is minimal (if there).

In general, I see most benefit and/or more options with a new extra spool.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 am

The biggest benefit of knob bearings to me is eliminating play. I notice almost no difference other than that. Same thing with levelwind bearings. I couldn't tell the difference between a reel with and one without those. Still, if you're going to supertune a reel you might as well go all the way.
This is the way.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:13 am

Cal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:51 am
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:15 am

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 am
The biggest benefit of knob bearings to me is eliminating play. I notice almost no difference other than that. Same thing with levelwind bearings. I couldn't tell the difference between a reel with and one without those. Still, if you're going to supertune a reel you might as well go all the way.
My old carpenter hands really appreciate how smooth handles with bearings make any reel. They let me fish moving baits all day now.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:49 am

I always fish any new or pre owned purchased reel as is or stock, the way it came. I want to see what it is like and if I am happy with it in its current state. If something seems off I see what can be done to alter that. Sometimes, a handle, spool, spool bearings, a cleaning, bearing flush, or have a reel turner look at it and offer suggestions.

As far as costmetic things I will do that on some reels so I can match it to a specific rod asthetically.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:54 am

Also use reel stock for a while. Gotta have a baseline. Rarely work on cosmetics.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:27 am

Mnsmallieguy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 pm
I have a couple OG Fuego casting reels I have been considering a tune up. Any suggestions to keep the budget low but soup these up a bit?
Start with a complete disassemble/Clean and lube. Oil the bearings and grease the gears. Note all bushing sizes and replace with bearings. Including the knobs. Should have carbon drag washers(if not replace with carbon). Make sure to use cals grease on those. Use a good oil on those spool bearings. I also recommend synthetic grease and oils.

Abec 5 on spool bearings is a minimal IMHO, Abec 7 a plus! Ceramics if you can afford them.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO