Using ultrasonic unit to apply lubricant

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Using ultrasonic unit to apply lubricant

Post by mark poulson » Sun May 19, 2019 4:57 pm

Has anyone here used an ultrasonic cleaning unit to reapply a lubricant, like corrision X, to a bearing after cleaning it?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Using ultrasonic unit to apply lubricant

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Well you'd definitely get it into every nook and cranny - just wondering how the ultrasonics would go in a more viscous medium even if by just that much...

So for this applicable process would be - wash out, dry, ultrasonics application of oil, removal and dry off excess oil.

How much benefit would it be over normal application though?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:14 pm
Well you'd definitely get it into every nook and cranny - just wondering how the ultrasonics would go in a more viscous medium even if by just that much...

So for this applicable process would be - wash out, dry, ultrasonics application of oil, removal and dry off excess oil.

How much benefit would it be over normal application though?
That's what I was wondering too. But a really thin lubricant, like corrosion X, might be easier and faster to apply with one.
Then again, I may just be suffering from keyboard dementia. Hahaha

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun May 19, 2019 6:44 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 pm
But a really thin lubricant, like corrosion X, might be easier and faster to apply with one.
To answer the op's question- no.

And how would it be faster? I can put some X in a bearing in seconds without getting up out of my seat to walk to the ultrasonic cleaner. I can be done with the bearing before I could ever reach the cleaner... and then have to remove the cleaner liquid and replace it with how much X to do this small simple job? No way Jose!

A good air hose would suffice and be done in seconds. No need to waste a ton of lubricant for such a small simple job. Way overkill... and completely unnecessary in my ever so humble opinion.

Besides, I am not going through the time and trouble to do all that liquid changing in any ultrasonic cleaner!

A keyboard cowboy with keyboard dementia! I like it.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:44 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 pm
But a really thin lubricant, like corrosion X, might be easier and faster to apply with one.
To answer the op's question- no.

And how would it be faster? I can put some X in a bearing in seconds without getting up out of my seat to walk to the ultrasonic cleaner. I can be done with the bearing before I could ever reach the cleaner... and then have to remove the cleaner liquid and replace it with how much X to do this small simple job? No way Jose!

A good air hose would suffice and be done in seconds. No need to waste a ton of lubricant for such a small simple job. Way overkill... and completely unnecessary in my ever so humble opinion.

Besides, I am not going through the time and trouble to do all that liquid changing in any ultrasonic cleaner!

A keyboard cowboy with keyboard dementia! I like it.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks