Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Post Reply
tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am
Location: NORTHERN ONTARIO ,CANADA

Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by tditox4 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:14 am

I'm trying to remove the knobs from an OG steez TN reel. I have done this many times before. It seems that the previous owner put something on the screw threads. Maybe some sort of thread lock liquid. The only thing that I have succeeded in doing is loosening the knob post so that it also turns when I am trying to loosen the screw. Put a bunch of rust check liquid is the hole in the knob with the hope that it would seep into the screw threads,letting me loosen the screw but that didn't work . Anyone have any suggestions to help me remove the two screws.

User avatar
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4844
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 am
Location: Central Washington
Contact:

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by Teal101 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:10 am

If the post is spinning you're pretty SOL. Daiwa thread locks the screws from the factory and some just dont want to release. I have cut a slot in the back of the post to allow a slotted screwdriver to grip it and then broken the post screw loose, but it does leave a slot on the back of the knob post and you will have to do that every time you change knobs on that handle.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by mark poulson » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:21 am

I have the same problem with the screws on Quantum baitcaster knobs.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am
Location: NORTHERN ONTARIO ,CANADA

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by tditox4 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:12 am

Teal101 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:10 am
If the post is spinning you're pretty SOL. Daiwa thread locks the screws from the factory and some just dont want to release. I have cut a slot in the back of the post to allow a slotted screwdriver to grip it and then broken the post screw loose, but it does leave a slot on the back of the knob post and you will have to do that every time you change knobs on that handle.
It a 80mm CF baitcast handle. Could you show photos of how you did what you described . I'm not picturing it .

User avatar
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:00 pm
Location: Townsville , Queensland , Australia

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:20 pm

for those stubborn screws I have cut the end off a Phillips screwdriver to fit into a soldering iron, by holding it on the screw head the heat transfers and softens the Loctite. then use your good screw driver to remove the screw. may have to hold the iron there for a few minutes but saves messing up screws, works well for the screw of death in TDZ's and Zillions as well.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by mark poulson » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:42 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:20 pm
for those stubborn screws I have cut the end off a Phillips screwdriver to fit into a soldering iron, by holding it on the screw head the heat transfers and softens the Loctite. then use your good screw driver to remove the screw. may have to hold the iron there for a few minutes but saves messing up screws, works well for the screw of death in TDZ's and Zillions as well.
Thanks for the tip.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am
Location: NORTHERN ONTARIO ,CANADA

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by tditox4 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:56 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:20 pm
for those stubborn screws I have cut the end off a Phillips screwdriver to fit into a soldering iron, by holding it on the screw head the heat transfers and softens the Loctite. then use your good screw driver to remove the screw. may have to hold the iron there for a few minutes but saves messing up screws, works well for the screw of death in TDZ's and Zillions as well.
just ordered a soldering iron. Going to give it a try. Thanks for the info.

Houndfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by Houndfish » Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:20 pm
for those stubborn screws I have cut the end off a Phillips screwdriver to fit into a soldering iron, by holding it on the screw head the heat transfers and softens the Loctite. then use your good screw driver to remove the screw. may have to hold the iron there for a few minutes but saves messing up screws, works well for the screw of death in TDZ's and Zillions as well.
That is a great idea!

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am
Location: NORTHERN ONTARIO ,CANADA

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by tditox4 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Didn't work for me. Drilled the post out from behind. Found out that the screw threads in the post seem tapered on some bass or die handles, My other 2 steez TN's aren't like that. Knobs were easily removed and put on a 90mm zillion handle.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2018
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by LowRange » Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 pm

tditox4 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm
Didn't work for me. Drilled the post out from behind. Found out that the screw threads in the post seem tapered on some bass or die handles, My other 2 steez TN's aren't like that. Knobs were easily removed and put on a 90mm zillion handle.
You might be able to salvage the old handle if you want to. The Ray's studio handles use knob shafts that are held into the handle with screws and a plate on the back of the handle. You can buy the shafts with screws and plate on Aliexpress.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/322894752 ... 7959742444

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am
Location: NORTHERN ONTARIO ,CANADA

Re: Can't remove screws on Bass or Die knobs

Post by tditox4 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:32 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 pm
tditox4 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm
Didn't work for me. Drilled the post out from behind. Found out that the screw threads in the post seem tapered on some bass or die handles, My other 2 steez TN's aren't like that. Knobs were easily removed and put on a 90mm zillion handle.
You might be able to salvage the old handle if you want to. The Ray's studio handles use knob shafts that are held into the handle with screws and a plate on the back of the handle. You can buy the shafts with screws and plate on Aliexpress.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/322894752 ... 7959742444
I ordered from that seller once before. They cancelled my order. Seems shady to me. I just received ones from another esite and they worked ok.Thanks.

Post Reply