older Daiwa spinning reels

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

older Daiwa spinning reels

Post by johns » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:34 pm

I have a few older Daiwa spinning reels which I like but don't have the instant anti reverse like most of the newer reels. Maybe a crazy thought but is there a way to change them to instant anti reverse??? thanks john

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: older Daiwa spinning reels

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:18 pm

No. Frames are not machined for it.

I use a really old Daiwa right along side my Shimano Stradics to this day, and what I did was put a rubber pad over the spring loaded clicker. I don't hear it any more. Love the old reel though. Tough as a tank! It is a 160X I have on a Kistler custom rod. This reel will outlive me.

There is one on ebay right now for only $16.00. Rebuild that reel and you can't kill it. Only like 3 parts inside. A main gear. An oscillation gear and the shaft and oscillation block. OK, 4 parts inside. No bearings. All porous oil sleeve bushings.

A $16 reel on a $200 rod. That reel can keep up with the rod.

For the clicker padding as I recall, I used what I had on hand in the shop which was some various fuel tubing I had laying around. A small clear tube as I recall. But you can use medical tubing as well, just get a size that will fit and stay in place.

I don't even notice it now. But besides that little annoyance, how do you like the reel? And which one do you have?
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?