Drilling an Avail 16ALD15 Spool

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Drilling an Avail 16ALD15 Spool

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:47 am

So...
I would like to attempt BFS nirvana. I am looking to drill holes (porting) in my 16ALD15 spool. I have a spare in case the drilled spool doesnt turn out. The spool will only used with small fish.

I would really like to get as much info and tips as possible before attempting. I had a KTF ported spool for the 16 Aldebaran BFS. That spool had 2 rows (columns) on the shaft side and only 1 on the sideplate side, to accommodate the FTB braking system.

I understand balance affecting rotation/vibration. I think i would need some support when drilling into the spool so I dont dent/bend the spool.

If I can pull this off, it will be a new realm of BFS. I realize the amount of material removed will be small but, every little bit counts right? This is TackleTour and we always gontobthe extremes.

Please let me know your thoughts.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

MisterQ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Drilling an Avail 16ALD15 Spool

Post by MisterQ » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm

I've few custom drilled spools (not by me) and you can notice the difference.
I'd make some practice on a cheap spool
A TD-Z is forever

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:31 pm

MisterQ wrote:I've few custom drilled spools (not by me) and you can notice the difference.
I'd make some practice on a cheap spool
Ibwas thinking there may not be too much difference because of how thin and lightweight the spool already is to begin with.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:47 am

I don't think I could watch... If that spool just crushed or crumpled in...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:30 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I don't think I could watch... If that spool just crushed or crumpled in...
I know. The risks definitely outweigh the pros but...still may do it. :barf:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:10 am

There's a really old thread on here where the guy used a computer program to equally map out the more spacing and printed it out to use as a template for his drilling. I'll see if I can find it if I have some time to dig today.

Minimal pressure, super sharp drill bits, and stepping up the hole size gradually would be my suggestions. As long as you're using a sharp bit that isn't very large for your initial hole, you won't need very much pressure to drill through. Let the drill bit do the work.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:50 am

What about using a celephane / plastic cling wrap to cover all inner surfaces of the spool and filling the spool with a 2 pack foam to really support the inner surfaces when drilling.

Also using a push punch to slightly dent the surfaces before drilling to give the drill bit a start point - also using a small stepper drill bit possibly to get a clean two step hole drilled in one hit.

The open alloy surfaces would you clear it or leave exposed? Depending on the alloy 'Magnumlite' they run like the Chronarch Ci4+ that can be an entry point for further corrosion even in freshwater.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:02 am

don't have the mechanical know how, but having only used cheap/not that sharp drill bits, my fear would be the bit catching the metal without cutting cleanly and twisting the thin metal...

maybe find a local laser cutter?

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:57 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:So...
I would like to attempt BFS nirvana. I am looking to drill holes (porting) in my 16ALD15 spool. I have a spare in case the drilled spool doesnt turn out. The spool will only used with small fish.

I would really like to get as much info and tips as possible before attempting. I had a KTF ported spool for the 16 Aldebaran BFS. That spool had 2 rows (columns) on the shaft side and only 1 on the sideplate side, to accommodate the FTB braking system.

I understand balance affecting rotation/vibration. I think i would need some support when drilling into the spool so I dont dent/bend the spool.

If I can pull this off, it will be a new realm of BFS. I realize the amount of material removed will be small but, every little bit counts right? This is TackleTour and we always gontobthe extremes.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Given the spool as it is, weighs under 5 grams, how much weigh do you think you can remove?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:11 pm

This actually wouldn't be too hard. Mapping it out via Cad or any visual rendering program would be pretty simple. Getting the correct circumference of the porting to balance out correctly would be the tedious part.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Seems like an answer to a problem that is not there. Worms, sounds like worms, in a can.
<")))><{

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:37 pm

adam lancia wrote:There's a really old thread on here where the guy used a computer program to equally map out the more spacing and printed it out to use as a template for his drilling. I'll see if I can find it if I have some time to dig today.

Minimal pressure, super sharp drill bits, and stepping up the hole size gradually would be my suggestions. As long as you're using a sharp bit that isn't very large for your initial hole, you won't need very much pressure to drill through. Let the drill bit do the work.
That phrase triggered a thought ... step drills. They excel at cutting nice round holes in thin material. If you've ever tried to drill a hole in sheet metal with a standard twist drill bit you know what happens ... the bit walks through the hole, leaving a jagged mess. Step drills won't do this.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 am

I would map out all the holes on a piece of paper with their center point for drilling (like a drilling template) like mentioned above. See attached Pic below. Then carefully tape (or glue spray adhesive) the template around your spool. Next center punch all of your holes centers on your template transferring them to your spool. Remove paper template and slowly start drilling: What you will need:

Piece of thin paper:
compass or circle template
Staggered hole center dimension
Hole diameter size:

To calculate the length of piece of paper to wrap around your spool, here is the formula. If your spool diameter is 1"diameter like in my example, then you take;

1/2" which is the radius of 1/2 of your spool diameter x .017453 x 360 degrees. So

.500 x.017453 = .0087265 then take .0087265 x 360 degrees = 3.14154"

3.14154" is the length of paper you will need to wrap around your 1" diameter spool from end to end. In my example, my spool height is 1", yours will definitely be different.

If your spool diameter is different then take that number divide by 2 and use that as your radius and calculate as above.

Once you are sure that everything works, you can locate your centers on your paper, from end to end.You can do in line or staggered holes, your preference. The critical thing here is accuracy. If you are off and something moves, your spool will be off as well, possibly throwing it off balance. Measure 100x cut once. Once you have the paper laid out on your spool, next would be to centerpunch and then drill. To drill use all the help you received above and go slow and think it out thoroughly.

If you need more help to figure this out PM me and I will help you.
Attachments
SPOOL OVERLAY.jpg
SPOOL OVERLAY.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 7789 times

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 am

cadman wrote:I would map out all the holes on a piece of paper with their center point for drilling (like a drilling template) like mentioned above. See attached Pic below. Then carefully tape (or glue spray adhesive) the template around your spool. Next center punch all of your holes centers on your template transferring them to your spool. Remove paper template and slowly start drilling: What you will need:

Piece of thin paper:
compass or circle template
Staggered hole center dimension
Hole diameter size:

To calculate the length of piece of paper to wrap around your spool, here is the formula. If your spool diameter is 1"diameter like in my example, then you take;

1/2" which is the radius of 1/2 of your spool diameter x .017453 x 360 degrees. So

.500 x.017453 = .0087265 then take .0087265 x 360 degrees = 3.14154"

3.14154" is the length of paper you will need to wrap around your 1" diameter spool from end to end. In my example, my spool height is 1", yours will definitely be different.

If your spool diameter is different then take that number divide by 2 and use that as your radius and calculate as above.

Once you are sure that everything works, you can locate your centers on your paper, from end to end.You can do in line or staggered holes, your preference. The critical thing here is accuracy. If you are off and something moves, your spool will be off as well, possibly throwing it off balance. Measure 100x cut once. Once you have the paper laid out on your spool, next would be to centerpunch and then drill. To drill use all the help you received above and go slow and think it out thoroughly.

If you need more help to figure this out PM me and I will help you.
Really nice! Is that formula pi D?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:26 pm

I don't think that you will take out much more than a gram. Also, the holes let water into your reel. The DIY spools with holes are only about a gram less than the non-drilled spools. Why would you sacrifice strength, and keeping water out of your reel? You could also drill out the body panels on a Porsche while you are at it! ;)