Need advice on maintaining Daiwa T3 1016HL and T3 1016SHL

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
soje
Angler
Angler

Need advice on maintaining Daiwa T3 1016HL and T3 1016SHL

Post by soje » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:19 am

I've always used Curados. I bought four of the Daiwa T3s a few years back, and man there's a lot more to do when working on these. I'm looking for advice, tips, and things to look out for when maintaining these reels.

Per Daiwa instructions, I close the hood to engage the clutch. I believe that you can use the cranking method to close the hood and engage the clutch. When I went to clean these reels, I tried this crank to engage the clutch method and it worked on three of them. On one of the reels, cranking just tries to close the hood, but then it pops up, like somethings slipping. I hope I didn't strip something.

I'm looking to collect parts that may not be available in the future. I'm considering bearing upgrades, and really want to see if I can get some shallow SV spools. I want to get ceramic worm-shaft and guide pawl. I want some carbon drag. I'd like to know what other people like to change on their T3s.

Can any of yall share what you know, like to do, places you buy stuff for these reels?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need advice on maintaining Daiwa T3 1016HL and T3 1016SHL

Post by poisonokie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 am

I don't think it matters whether you close the hood or turn the handle to engage the clutch. Like all daiwa reels, the thumb bar (hood) is directly connected to the clutch mechanism, so pushing the thumb bar up (closing the hood) re-engages the clutch. If it's popping back open, I'd say something must be wrong. I've never had that happen with mine, although I usually manually close the hood on mine because that's part of the T3's appeal. Is it possible you installed the toothed gear beneath the main gear upside down? Perhaps AfricanBass will chime in as he is much more knowledgeable than most anyone about all the T3 variants.

As for parts, these reels pop up from time to time in good condition. If you find a good deal on one, it might be worth keeping one for a spare. I'm actually considering parting with mine. That said, there were several iterations of these so getting parts from daiwa shouldn't be an issue for a while yet.
This is the way.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need advice on maintaining Daiwa T3 1016HL and T3 1016SHL

Post by Slazmo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:12 pm

Close the hood with the handle turn - they have a tenancy to crack where they pivot on the small body pin - where that pin sits in the hood race its much thinner and I've seen a few bust there at that point. And the hoods are a bit of a scarcity now - well in Australia they are.