Is a bent spool shaft repairable?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Is a bent spool shaft repairable?

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 am

In a moment of carelessness last year I dropped a PX68 spool about three feet onto a hardwood floor. This knocked a small dent into the spool lip but that appeared to be all the damage. I sent it off to get repaired and when I got it back it looked perfect. I neglected to function test it and stuck it in a box as I was using a Ray's spool in my reel at the time. Recently I have gotten into the Pixy game more deeply and when I pulled the spool out to use it I discovered that it does not spin in any of the three reels I tried it in. There is a very noticeable rub and it has a wide wobble to it when spun by hand. I assume the fall also bent the shaft that holds the bearing.

Is this something that can be repaired or is the spool dead? I was lucky enough to find a replacement spool but I would love to get this one back up and running if possible.

thanks.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Is a bent spool shaft repairable?

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:21 am

I would think it would cost more to try and get it straightened than it would to replace it. Spools are so well balanced that I doubt you'd ever get it truly straight again.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 am

Pliers and a prayer. I had a ZPI 002 with a shaft slightly off kilter, would rub during casts. I straightened it back out with pliers and some effort. I made sure to keep a small rag between the jaws and the shaft to not mar it. Still use the spool and it runs fine. I guarantee I got lucky more than anything :lol:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:23 pm

Not what I wanted to hear guys! :cry:

I don't know if I have the heart to take pliers to it, I might just hang it from my work lamp as a reminder to pay closer attention when I am fussing with spools.

I assume I could strip the inductor parts off and make a Magforce-Z Ray's spool, correct?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Houndfish wrote:Not what I wanted to hear guys! :cry:

I don't know if I have the heart to take pliers to it, I might just hang it from my work lamp as a reminder to pay closer attention when I am fussing with spools.

I assume I could strip the inductor parts off and make a Magforce-Z Ray's spool, correct?
And as a reminder to put a strip of carpet in front of your work area. ;)

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm

mark poulson wrote: And as a reminder to put a strip of carpet in front of your work area. ;)
That would make it easier to find fallen hooks too I guess. I might try to bend it back and see if I get lucky, otherwise will make it into a windchime