Best grease and oil for servicing reels. 2019 edition.

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best grease and oil for servicing reels. 2019 edition.

Post by hokiehi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:18 am

I recently started servicing my own reels and Penn's blue grease has really impressed me so far. No idea how long it'll last compared to the more popular greases, though.

As far as oil goes, I like the Bantam oil Shimano includes with their reels. It works well enough and I haven't seen any problems using it, plus it's free with the reels and one bottle will last you a good while.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Shimano oil and Cal's grease

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:05 pm

Oil:
Bantam oil for shimano.
Ardent oil for most everything else.
Penn oil for cheaper reels.

Grease:
Daiwa Molybdenum for daiwa spinning reel gears.
Shimano ACE-2-DG04 for baitcast reel gears.
Shimano DG06 for idle gears and other light applications.
Cals for drag washers.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:34 am

Markanthony404 wrote:Oil:
Bantam oil for shimano.
Ardent oil for most everything else.
Penn oil for cheaper reels.

Grease:
Daiwa Molybdenum for daiwa spinning reel gears.
Shimano ACE-2-DG04 for baitcast reel gears.
Shimano DG06 for idle gears and other light applications.
Cals for drag washers.
I use very similar stuff. But Cal's grease on Daiwa's non carbontex drag washers is pretty crappy. Don't you feel like the drag is skipping and isn't smooth at all compared to the grease Daiwa uses for their drag?

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:52 pm

Not to steer off topic but does cals come in a tube? I do not care for the larger round containers but would prefer a squeeze tube.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:44 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:Not to steer off topic but does cals come in a tube? I do not care for the larger round containers but would prefer a squeeze tube.
I've never seen it. Just get a small, pointy tip type paintbrush and apply it with that.
This is the way.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:15 am

shimano bantam oil on spool bearings

shimano drag grease on everything else

More important than what to use, is to know where to use it and how much to use. Many on this site get to caught up in using some high fallutin' super duper special oil. There's a sucker born every minute. I stay away from some of these really really light oils as all they result in is cranking' down the cast control knob and turning up the magnetic or centrifugal brakes. I've cleaned bearings in acetone and lube with "ONE DROP" of thin oils, and if you're chucking a big crankbait, swimjig, etc. you'll need to relube your spool bearings constantly.

I have used ardent grease, penn grease and they work fine too. Superlube works well, but it a lighter grease and my reels didn't feel as smooth with it.

Good luck, servicing your reels is a good deal. I firmly believe now that I have reels that will be with me for a lifetime.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:40 am

lifeofRiley wrote:

More important than what to use, is to know where to use it and how much to use. Many on this site get to caught up in using some high fallutin' super duper special oil.
Absolutely true. I believe that less is more when it comes to reel lubrication. A light coating of grease and a single drop of oil per bearing is all that is needed.

One thing i’ll add is I transfer all of my reel oil to needle tip bottles. They disperse smaller drops and help from getting oil on places where you don’t want it.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Let's see. I have:
Daiwa Blue Grease
Daiwa reel oil
Penn Grease
Penn Oil
Hot Sauce
Cal's Brown Grease
Reel-X

What's the difference? I have no idea, other than what I've heard. Right now I'm replacing the drag washers on 3 reels with carbon ones. I'm thinking the new washers need to be treated with Cal's, but I'm not sure. Anyone what to give me input?
I do use Hot Sauce oil on my line rollers and bail assembly.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 am

Reverendo wrote:Let's see. I have:
Daiwa Blue Grease
Daiwa reel oil
Penn Grease
Penn Oil
Hot Sauce
Cal's Brown Grease
Reel-X

What's the difference? I have no idea, other than what I've heard. Right now I'm replacing the drag washers on 3 reels with carbon ones. I'm thinking the new washers need to be treated with Cal's, but I'm not sure. Anyone what to give me input?
I do use Hot Sauce oil on my line rollers and bail assembly.
Just make sure your steel drag washers are clean and install them dry.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:42 am

Install the carbontex washers dry? Really?
I’ve heard both ways, but I’d like to know the data for wet vs dry?

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:07 am

I've learned this the hard way too. I've put carbontex into all my CU200E7's, CH50MGs, CU200Bs, CH100D7s, and maybe a few more I'm forgetting. If you ever fish braid or any heavy line, greased drag washers lead to a slipping drag. I have a tub of Cal's, but I won't put it on my drag washers anymore. Now if you have a reel you want to fish with really light drag pressure you can try it. Drag grease was invented for the old washers used years ago, for felt washers found in many spinning reels, and for drag stacks in large saltwater reels that get hot due to long fast runs. For modern baitcasters equipped with cross-carbon drag washers, leave them dry, you'll thank me later.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:19 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:I've learned this the hard way too. I've put carbontex into all my CU200E7's, CH50MGs, CU200Bs, CH100D7s, and maybe a few more I'm forgetting. If you ever fish braid or any heavy line, greased drag washers lead to a slipping drag. I have a tub of Cal's, but I won't put it on my drag washers anymore. Now if you have a reel you want to fish with really light drag pressure you can try it. Drag grease was invented for the old washers used years ago, for felt washers found in many spinning reels, and for drag stacks in large saltwater reels that get hot due to long fast runs. For modern baitcasters equipped with cross-carbon drag washers, leave them dry, you'll thank me later.
I've been using Cal's grease on Carbontex drag washers for years with no issues. I use a very small amount. I have all Daiwa reels so I'm not sure about Shimano.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:03 pm

njbasscat wrote:
lifeofRiley wrote:I've learned this the hard way too. I've put carbontex into all my CU200E7's, CH50MGs, CU200Bs, CH100D7s, and maybe a few more I'm forgetting. If you ever fish braid or any heavy line, greased drag washers lead to a slipping drag. I have a tub of Cal's, but I won't put it on my drag washers anymore. Now if you have a reel you want to fish with really light drag pressure you can try it. Drag grease was invented for the old washers used years ago, for felt washers found in many spinning reels, and for drag stacks in large saltwater reels that get hot due to long fast runs. For modern baitcasters equipped with cross-carbon drag washers, leave them dry, you'll thank me later.
I've been using Cal's grease on Carbontex drag washers for years with no issues. I use a very small amount. I have all Daiwa reels so I'm not sure about Shimano.
I don't grease the drag washers on any of my high ratio reels that are used with braid and heavy line for bottom contact either. I don't want them to slip on the hookset. But, the dimpling on Carbontex washers causes them to take more force to get moving. I do put a very small amount of grease on my Carbontex washers on my low ratio reels that are used for finesse treble hooked baits. This helps keep from breaking line and tearing hooks out.

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:51 pm

What oil do you guys use for the antireverse clutch?