Do you use a dremel?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Do you use a dremel?

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:22 pm

I'm wondering if any of you guys use a dremel, and in that case, what for? I've been thinking of getting one for a while, but not sure how much I'd use it.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Do you use a dremel?

Post by uljersey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Great tool to have. Every workbench should have one. I have a Proxxon, which is a German made rotary tool. Mine's going on 10 years old and still runs as well as the day I got it. It get a lot of use.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:04 pm

I will be using one soon to grind the insides on an Abu MGS side side plate to accept the dual brake assembly from a Elite IB 7. The dual brake would bolt right in but the bottom of the assembly has a bulge for the magnets to sit recessed when all the way away from the spool.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 pm

I just got a new Dremel for Christmas, as mine crapped out after 9 yrs. I use mine with a brass bristle brush to clean up tarnished brass gears. I also use the buffer head to polish gears, drag washers, spool tips and to remove shallow scratches from the paint.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Mine is 15 years old and I could not live with out it. Use it all the time for polishing my reel inards and the cutting wheels for various things.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:03 am

lifeofRiley wrote:I'm wondering if any of you guys use a dremel, and in that case, what for? I've been thinking of getting one for a while, but not sure how much I'd use it.
You might want to read this article. It was the primary reason I purchased a dremel.

Doc

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:26 am

I have considered a dremel/proxxon for some time, but havent made the purchase yet as I am unsure of what version to get. Any help - also with add-on items (brushes?) would be much appreciated.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 am

Dalleinf wrote:I have considered a dremel/proxxon for some time, but havent made the purchase yet as I am unsure of what version to get. Any help - also with add-on items (brushes?) would be much appreciated.
I bought the basic 1-speed, butbhe variable speed model is a better choice. Either one you choose will have a few starter pieces with it. I bought a multi-piece variety kit from Wal-mart, but that auction site has the same kits for very reasonable prices.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Dalleinf wrote:I have considered a dremel/proxxon for some time, but havent made the purchase yet as I am unsure of what version to get. Any help - also with add-on items (brushes?) would be much appreciated.
I can only speak for the Proxxon Micromot, you'll notice the 6 different sized collets that come with it. These will assure that you can fit virtually any rotary tool accessory regardless of manufacturer. I've yet to not be able to use an accessory due the shaft being incompatible.

As for the accessories, the possibilities are limitless. Something like this would be a good start and cover your basic needs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/228-Piece-Drem ... ctupt=true

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks guys. I just purchased a Proxxon Micromot 50/e - Proxxon price was better for me here in EU.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Dalleinf wrote:Thanks guys. I just purchased a Proxxon Micromot 50/e - Proxxon price was better for me here in EU.
Enjoy ! Be sure and follow up after some use and let us know how you like it.