Drag question

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Drag question

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 am

I posted this in the Reels Forum, and then realized that it's probably better posted here.

I changed my Quantum Smoke Burner aluminum main gear to brass, and the gear face that the drag washer lays against/engages is a little thinner. I need to find a .5mm washer to take up the distance.
Is there a site that offers sst washers for reels?

The original drag washer is 1.45mm thick.
Can I just put in two 1mm thick Smooth Drag washers, face to face with no sst washer between, and still have the drag work?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Drag question

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 am

I wouldnt do that. If those carbon washers are together like that, they will usually damage each other very quickly.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Drag question

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:I wouldnt do that. If those carbon washers are together like that, they will usually damage each other very quickly.
Thanks. That's what I thought might happen.
I found some washers for that reel that should work on the Zebco parts site. They are only $.14 each, so I'll order some and see if they work. The shipping is more than the washers, so I'll probably order some new drag washers, too. Mine are 10+ years old. :lol: