Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 am

Again, agree to disagree. Introducing excess heat to a bearing by spinning it at high speeds while dry can be detrimental to a bearing. It causes surface pitting, galding, etc.

Your method works for you, just as my method works for me, and Alan Tanis method works for him. I’m by no means saying my way is the right way, wrong way, only way etc. Only speaking on what works for me, and the way I run my reel bench. Daiwa and Shimano both have zero issues with the processes I use to maintain and perform warranty repairs on their reels.

Making suggestions on easier and or better ways of doing something is always welcomed, but attempting to force feed them to some very experienced guys isn’t going to fly. I spent quite a bit of time reading some of the comments tossed around on various threads. It’s quite obvious, not only by your name, that you are one if Shimano’s biggest fans. And that’s awesome. Shimano builds a solid reel. I myself prefer Daiwa, again agree to disagree. I think your post here could be widely accepted if you would loose the favoritism when posting about various subjects.

Welcome to TT.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:57 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:Again, agree to disagree. Introducing excess heat to a bearing by spinning it at high speeds while dry can be detrimental to a bearing. It causes surface pitting, galding, etc. .
This...
<")))><{

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote: As for using compressed air to force gunk out of a bearing, while it spins at RPMs higher than it will ever see in a reel, while DRY...well let’s just say that’s as bad if not worse than using a harsh solvent.
We can agree to disagree. Its OK.

Compressed air is a great way clean out bearings safely and quickly with no harm done to the bearing if done correctly, and Boca Bearing company agrees:

https://www.bocabearings.com/fishing-re ... stallation

"Soaking time may vary depending on whether you have grease or oil in your bearings or if you are using an ultrasonic, but a few hours of soaking should be more than enough. You can now either blow your bearings dry with compressed air or allow them to air dry for up to 24 hours."

And on the legendary Alan Tani forum is a thread about this same subject:

reelspeedsouth posted:

"Hey guys I read all of these posts about bearings above, I am a reel repair guy, that doesn't make any difference--but I use about 100psi out of 8hp electric portable compressor. When I first got it set up, I spent some time spraying the air into a white rag and inspecting the rag under a heavy magnifying glass, I didn't find any particle residu, nor were there any water or liquid deposits, I check this every once in a while, the dryer is a good idea. But I face the spurt of the air at an angle to the bearing and using the cleaner makes them work and clearly as part of our service to our clients I can assure that the bearing is clean and is at its best working order. I suppose if you take 100PSi straight on a bearing then you might blow it out. I have never done that, the idea is to get the residu even the brake cleaner off the bearings, buy blowing at an angle the brake fluid cleaner sprays off and the particles and residue do to. I get super clean bearing from this method and would never change. This is part of our signature bearing service, can't share the rest of what we do, but I guarantee you that while I respect the comments, the air whether canned air or compressor air does work. Now canned air does have or does put out moisture, I have observed that. I am not getting that from my compressor.
Also I have metal shafts that fit the bearings and so I put the bearing on one of these and hold it to an angle and spray, so I am not actually holding the bearing, the bearing is spinning on its own as if it were in a reel except at higher rate of speed. The air burst isn't that long, its just enough to clearly clean the residue and dry the bearing. There isn't anything I have used that works better....
"

And even Alan Tani chimed in on this subject:

"when i clean a bearing, i use compressed air sideways to blow out the excess grease."

Bottom line on compressed air... bearing and reel professionals seem to choose compressed air across the board.

That said, in my opinion 100psi is too high, especially if using a good tip with a tight air focus.

And Daiwa finally chimed in on the direct question of using acetone:

We do not recommend using anything to clean the reels other than products designed specifically for that purpose. There are lots of reel cleaning kits on the market that would work well. We sell reel oil and lube (you can order/check on pricing and availability through us direct at (562)375-6800) that we recommend when servicing our reels.

Casey Yoern
Daiwa Corporation
11137 Warland Dr.
Cypress, CA 90630
(562)375-6800

Differences of opinion are what make life interesting!
You left out what he sprays/soaks the bearings with before he uses air on them? :whistle:

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:04 am

A quick blast of air does not harm a bearing.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:08 am

Wrong button.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:08 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote: I think your post here could be widely accepted if you would lose the favoritism when posting about various subjects.

Welcome to TT.
This has been noted and discussed. However, changes on my end won't improve the conditions of context.

Truth is, I am coming to realize and understand why industry related avoid what I have attempted.

And, I have never seen a short blast of air overheat any bearing and cause pitting or any other deformities in solid steel or ceramic that is harder than steel.

Controlled accurate use of air is superior to other techniques I have seen.

Thanks for the welcome.