Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Title says it all. What is a good Aerosal Spray for cleaning both ceramic and SS bearings?

I will be putting the bearings on a Hedgehog bearing device and spraying the bejusus out of the bearing with a aerosal spray with a directional tip. Referencing Karil's (Sawamura) he utilizes a Japanes Parts and Brake Cleaner called WAKOS. I have no WAKOS, need a couple of alternatives.

I appriciate all of the many methods others utilize and the merits of them and have reviewed them Ad nauseam..

At this point I just need some safe and effective suggestions for an Aerosal Spray so I can do it as described.

Thanks in advance.

casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Post by casterus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:51 pm

I don't know it calls WACO but I'm using brake cleaner you can buy at any box store ( Home Depot, Menards, lowes etc)
or any auto parts store. It works very good. I've talked to a guy and he told me he is using Sonic Turbo Wash Bearing Cleaner. I did not try this one.
Adam

casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by casterus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Oops.Sonic Turbo Wash Bearing Cleaner is not a spray. Sorry

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Brake parts cleaner or carburetor cleaner. I just buy the cheap stuff from Walmart and it works great, a lot faster than Acetone. I always dip in Acetone for a final cleaning of any residue. Wear gloves, a mask, and some goggles if you are gonna be spraying a bearing with it. Don’t want it on your skin or in your eyes.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:25 pm

I got this idea off of this forum years ago, can't remember who posted it but it's greatness :big grin:

More than once it has brought bearings back from the dead, ones I had soaked, sprayed, sonic cleaned, etc. This borders on genius it's so simple but yet so effective.

Mandrel for a rotary tool (dremel). Mount the bearing on the mandrel. Install mandrel onto rotary tool. Small glass jar with solvent of your choice - acetone, brake cleaner, lighter fluid, whatever. Submerge bearing into jar until covered, turn on tool and give 'er a whirl. 10 - 15 seconds usually does the trick, maybe a little more if it's really cruddy. Take out of jar, give a quick whirl to fling excess solvent off, but don't run bearing dry at high speed for more than a few seconds. That's it. If that doesn't do the trick, time for another bearing. I gave my wife her ultrasonic jewelry cleaner back after learning about this.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:36 pm

uljersey wrote:I got this idea off of this forum years ago, can't remember who posted it but it's greatness :big grin:

More than once it has brought bearings back from the dead, ones I had soaked, sprayed, sonic cleaned, etc. This borders on genius it's so simple but yet so effective.

Mandrel for a rotary tool (dremel). Mount the bearing on the mandrel. Install mandrel onto rotary tool. Small glass jar with solvent of your choice - acetone, brake cleaner, lighter fluid, whatever. Submerge bearing into jar until covered, turn on tool and give 'er a whirl. 10 - 15 seconds usually does the trick, maybe a little more if it's really cruddy. Take out of jar, give a quick whirl to fling excess solvent off, but don't run bearing dry at high speed for more than a few seconds. That's it. If that doesn't do the trick, time for another bearing. I gave my wife her ultrasonic jewelry cleaner back after learning about this.
What was the brand of Aerosol spray that you utilized? Are some Aerosol sprays better than others?

Thanks,

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:40 pm

This is the brake spray I use(contains Acetone) with the red RPM Bearing Blaster. The bearing is sandwiched between 2 pieces of the Bearing Blaster and the spray tube goes into the blaster hole and spray, flip bearing and repeat.

video
https://youtu.be/mH8JdiD1ldI?t=31

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
uljersey wrote:I got this idea off of this forum years ago, can't remember who posted it but it's greatness :big grin:

What was the brand of Aerosol spray that you utilized? Are some Aerosol sprays better than others?

Thanks,
No aerosols, I just use acetone out of a can to clean my bearings. It does a good job and evaporates quickly leaving no residue.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:46 pm

The Dremel option with the bearings spun in acetone is fast and highly efficient. I thank the original poster DougL58 every time I clean my bearings this way. Paslode electrical cleaner is a good alternative to acetone, but much more expensive. Note that acetone cannot be used with bearings that have plastic cages or seals - eg the ZPI Sic bearings

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:29 am

I place my bearings in a tiny wire basket, step outdoors and spray them with CRC Electric Cleaner through the red tube. Removes grease/oil really fast, dries real fast and leaves no residue. A couple of minutes in a lighter fluid bath, blow dry with a computer keyboard blower, a drop of Yellow Rocket Fuel (SS) and good to go. Handy to have on the boat also.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:48 am

uljersey wrote:
No aerosols, I just use acetone out of a can to clean my bearings. It does a good job and evaporates quickly leaving no residue.
Strewth wrote: Note that acetone cannot be used with bearings that have plastic cages or seals - eg the ZPI Sic bearings
I completely agree.

Acetone is not a good choice for bearings unless every part of the bearing is metal. If there is a plastic bearing retainer inside, the acetone can damage or destroy it.

At the shop and at home I like to use plain old mineral spirits because it is a weak solvent and does not damage plastics. And it leaves behind a thin coat of oil.

I use a small jar and put the bearings in it for a soaking and then use air to blow out the dissolved grease and dirt inside. Sometimes a second or third soaking will suffice. Always careful to blow them out afterwards.

An aerosol spray usually will not dissolve or remove all of the grease I want out of some of my bearings.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:50 am

uljersey wrote: Image
This is a clever idea, but not for cleaning. Too time consuming for me.

I use a setup like this one to break in bearings, not clean them.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:51 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
uljersey wrote:

Acetone is not a good choice for bearings unless every part of the bearing is metal. If there is a plastic bearing retainer inside, the acetone can damage or destroy it.

At the shop and at home I like to use plain old mineral spirits because it is a weak solvent and does not damage plastics. And it leaves behind a thin coat of oil.

I use a small jar and put the bearings in it for a soaking and then use air to blow out the dissolved grease and dirt inside. Sometimes a second or third soaking will suffice. Always careful to blow them out afterwards.

An aerosol spray usually will not dissolve or remove all of the grease I want out of some of my bearings.
Simple dont use cheap bearings with plastic in them buy quality ones this is TackleTour.. :big grin:

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:48 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Simple dont use cheap bearings with plastic in them buy quality ones this is TackleTour.. :big grin:
This is TT, but the truth is only about 1% of 1% actually change out bearings to better ones. So most people are still using whatever comes inside of whatever reel.

Even some full ceramic bearings come with a plastic bearing retainer. "Cheap" has nothing to do with it.

Like playing Russian roulette with acetone. Best to avoid any solvents that destroy plastics.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:32 pm

I ended up getting and using this...100% safe on Plastic, Dries quickly with Zero Residue, it has a directional Flow nozzel.
CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner.jpg
CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner.jpg (17.75 KiB) Viewed 7698 times
Put the bearing on a Hedgehog bearing device and sprayed away. I also used this to clean out some mounted worm gears. Took out spool so it would the line would not get contaminated, worked like a charm.

This might not be good for gunked up bearings, but cleaning new and slightly used ones it worked great. Night and day difference after cleaning, even the new ones.

I also bought some of the CRC Brake Cleaner, that I will save in case I run into some crusties.

Thanks for all of the advice.!