Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Aerosal Spray for Cleaning Bearings

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 pm

ShimanoFan wrote: No mention of aerosols either.
Shimano guy spraying the bejesus out of a reel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp-tVFCoCVo

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote: Shimano guy spraying the bejesus out of a reel...
This is the second comment referring to spraying lubricant on a reel. All of my previous aerosol comments pertained to spraying solvent, not lubrication. This point seems to be overlooked.

We all know when spraying lubricant it is quick shots, while flushing a bearing is unloading a can. Huge difference also overlooked part of the above point I made about aerosols.

It was simply to try and help some people avoid wasteful spraying of solvents, not lubricants.

That said, this type of thing is over-the-counter suggestions for end users, not what professional Shimano service centers do.

One thing that is interesting to note here, the official Shimano baitcast maintenance manual says to not spray lubricant on outside of reel:

MAINTENANCE
Your Shimano reel is designed to provide years of
dependable performance when properly maintained and
lubricated. Exercise care when lubricating. Excess
grease and oil can flow into places where it might hinder
the performance of the reel.
A light coat of grease or a
few drops of oil is all that is required.
To clean periodically, spray a towel or rag with a water
displacing lubricant or synthetic protectant. Then wipe
off dirt, sand and moisture. This light coating will serve
as a protectant during storage and will make future
cleaning easier. Do not spray the lubricant directly on the
reel as it can break down greases and oil within the reel,
leading to premature corrosion and decreased drag
performance.

We recommend that your reel be professionally cleaned
and lubricated at least once a year by a Shimano
approved service center in your area.

The video and the Shimano maintenance manual seem to conflict with each other.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:14 pm

It is the only cleaning substance mentioned on the site, along with cotton buds etc. I'm guessing the second part of your secret cleaner is pure/ distilled water, since it mixes completely with the alcohol and would therefore reduce costs. Like I said, the first recommendation is straight from Shimano.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:32 am

Play nicely guys. I see this all the time at work too. There are three types of positions.

1. OEM spokesperson who won't ever deviate from instructions. It benefits them financially as the OEM approved shop. Get production type results.
2. Smart, independent people who use alternative methods with improved results, but caveat emptor.
3. Hacks who have no business opening a product (using Quantum Hot Sauce is a dead giveaway).

There is a place for everyone in the world...even #3. :lol:

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:16 am

Tokugawa wrote: 3. Hacks who have no business opening a product (using Quantum Hot Sauce is a dead giveaway).

There is a place for everyone in the world...even #3. :lol:
LMAO! Funny you should mention this! 2 days ago at the shop I repaired a "forum" reel with a ton of it flowing out of the reel:

It clearly says on the top of this Shimano AR bearing: NO GREASE!

But our customer read online exactly how to take care of his Stradic!

Notice inner tube is upside down, and AR bearing has so much grease shoved into it, he could have shoved bubble gum in there with the same results!

I suppose the correct procedure is to whip out the acetone aerosol automotive brake cleaner and spray the bejesus out of it! :big grin: lol!

This is a great example how well meaning suggestions can go horribly wrong!
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:27 am

ShimanoFan wrote: Just yesterday at the shop I repaired a "forum" reel with a ton of it flowing out of the reel:
You posted these same pics 2 days ago. Are you in some type of time warp?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:30 am

Aquaftm45 wrote: You posted these same pics 2 days ago. Are you in some type of time warp?
You are so right! 2 days ago... I forgot yesterday was other shimano's...

After nearly 40 years of working on them, they all start to blend after awhile... and yes, lose track of time.

All fixed now! More to come!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:20 pm

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Can I borrow that?

(kidding)

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:08 am

I couldn't figure out for the life of me what warranted so many pages of discussion on such an old topic. I feel like tokugawa summed it up with his explanation of the 3 types of folks here...

That being said, here's my anecdotal evidence: I have yet to melt or otherwise harm a non-metal bearing retainer, nor have I harmed any of the metal reel parts soaking them in acetone. I have also used lighter fluid with similar results. Many brands of brake cleaner and electrical contact cleaner have also worked well, especially when I needed to blast really heavy crap out out a basting or off a part. I respect that Shimano responded the way they did, expected from a large corporation. I can only guess at the number of warranty claims they'd have from guys soaking plastic reel parts in acetone... "Well, you said I could clean my reel with acetone!" BUT. The majority of guys on here (with the exception of tokugawa's #3 sometimes) don't use hot sauce, nor do they grease AR bearings. Not your average Jim-Bob for lack of a better description...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:44 am

I am just a fisherman who services his own reels, so I don't know if this applies to large quantity cleaning, but I use regular paint thinner as the solvent when I clean my bearings with my ultrasound cleaner, and it works just fine.
And I do use Hot Sauce, at least until I run out, since I can't find it for sale any more.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 pm

:-k

Some interesting reading in this one. Lots of BS being tossed around as well.

Yes, each manufacturer has their own recommendations for servicing reels. Each has their preferred lubricants, solvents, etc.

As for cleaning bearings, I’ve used different solvents over the years. Acetone, naphtha, isopropyl alcohol, etc. Acetone cleans the best. I’ve yet to have a bearing hurt by acetone. I’m sure one day I’ll run across one that is, but in 5 years of using it, haven’t run across it yet. As for using compressed air to force gunk out of a bearing, while it spins at RPMs higher than it will ever see in a reel, while DRY...well let’s just say that’s as bad if not worse than using a harsh solvent. My current method works quite well, and is MUCH more gentle on the bearing.

Anyways, not trying to continue an ongoing pissing match, but figured I’d chime in with my experiences after working on 1000’s of reels over the years, and being in direct contact with the manufacturers that have been named.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:48 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote: As for using compressed air to force gunk out of a bearing, while it spins at RPMs higher than it will ever see in a reel, while DRY...well let’s just say that’s as bad if not worse than using a harsh solvent.
We can agree to disagree. Its OK.

Compressed air is a great way clean out bearings safely and quickly with no harm done to the bearing if done correctly, and Boca Bearing company agrees:

https://www.bocabearings.com/fishing-re ... stallation

"Soaking time may vary depending on whether you have grease or oil in your bearings or if you are using an ultrasonic, but a few hours of soaking should be more than enough. You can now either blow your bearings dry with compressed air or allow them to air dry for up to 24 hours."

And on the legendary Alan Tani forum is a thread about this same subject:

reelspeedsouth posted:

"Hey guys I read all of these posts about bearings above, I am a reel repair guy, that doesn't make any difference--but I use about 100psi out of 8hp electric portable compressor. When I first got it set up, I spent some time spraying the air into a white rag and inspecting the rag under a heavy magnifying glass, I didn't find any particle residu, nor were there any water or liquid deposits, I check this every once in a while, the dryer is a good idea. But I face the spurt of the air at an angle to the bearing and using the cleaner makes them work and clearly as part of our service to our clients I can assure that the bearing is clean and is at its best working order. I suppose if you take 100PSi straight on a bearing then you might blow it out. I have never done that, the idea is to get the residu even the brake cleaner off the bearings, buy blowing at an angle the brake fluid cleaner sprays off and the particles and residue do to. I get super clean bearing from this method and would never change. This is part of our signature bearing service, can't share the rest of what we do, but I guarantee you that while I respect the comments, the air whether canned air or compressor air does work. Now canned air does have or does put out moisture, I have observed that. I am not getting that from my compressor.
Also I have metal shafts that fit the bearings and so I put the bearing on one of these and hold it to an angle and spray, so I am not actually holding the bearing, the bearing is spinning on its own as if it were in a reel except at higher rate of speed. The air burst isn't that long, its just enough to clearly clean the residue and dry the bearing. There isn't anything I have used that works better....
"

And even Alan Tani chimed in on this subject:

"when i clean a bearing, i use compressed air sideways to blow out the excess grease."

Bottom line on compressed air... bearing and reel professionals seem to choose compressed air across the board.

That said, in my opinion 100psi is too high, especially if using a good tip with a tight air focus.

And Daiwa finally chimed in on the direct question of using acetone:

We do not recommend using anything to clean the reels other than products designed specifically for that purpose. There are lots of reel cleaning kits on the market that would work well. We sell reel oil and lube (you can order/check on pricing and availability through us direct at (562)375-6800) that we recommend when servicing our reels.

Casey Yoern
Daiwa Corporation
11137 Warland Dr.
Cypress, CA 90630
(562)375-6800

Differences of opinion are what make life interesting!

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:40 am

ShimanoFan wrote:.....

...I am a reel repair guy, that doesn't make any difference...
You should use this as your signature. :whistle:

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:44 am

I suppose the next post will be about how a quick blast of air can overheat a bearing causing pitting and other horrible bearing killing things!

Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:22 am, edited 5 times in total.