Drag slipping in cold weather

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Drag slipping in cold weather

Post by y2k88 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Yeah, if your anti-reverse still works, then I think it has to be the drag assembly. Either water between the surfaces, or maybe the drag washer frozen stuck with the main gear.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:45 pm

aqua71 wrote:
uljersey wrote:Interesting. My last thought is that flouro being stout with a relatively hard 'skin' could easily emulate the characteristics of braid especially in freezing temps. Perhaps unspooling one of the reels, apply a layer of tape or other soft material to the spool arbor and then respool as usual ... that would confirm or eliminate line being the issue.
The line absolutely positively does NOT slip on the spool. My only thought is that moisture is somehow building up inside the drag stack and freezing therefore rendering the drag useless (until air temps warm up). :-k
It's feasible I suppose, but freezing temps are usually accompanied by dry air. It would have to be a significant amount of moisture from condensation or being introduced from the outside somehow.

I've read that the carbon fiber used in drag washers is capable of absorbing water, yours may have moisture trapped within. Maybe removing the washer and blow drying it with wife's hair dryer, or sit in a 200* oven for a bit would be an option. If that's the case, then a micro coating of Cal's drag grease may be in order.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:24 pm

aqua71 wrote:
uljersey wrote:Interesting. My last thought is that flouro being stout with a relatively hard 'skin' could easily emulate the characteristics of braid especially in freezing temps. Perhaps unspooling one of the reels, apply a layer of tape or other soft material to the spool arbor and then respool as usual ... that would confirm or eliminate line being the issue.
The line absolutely positively does NOT slip on the spool. My only thought is that moisture is somehow building up inside the drag stack and freezing therefore rendering the drag useless (until air temps warm up). :-k
I think you're on the right track. Ice is slick as snot.
Maybe put some hand warmers next to your reels when it's that cold, or take them inside when you're done fishing.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 am

aqua71 wrote:Guys, thanks again for the suggestions, but let me be 100% clear. I have ZERO issues with the A/R bearings. The culprit is the DRAG STACK.

y2k88 wrote:Was the handle turning when your drag was slipping?
No, the handle does not turn. The drag slips as though the drag star was completely backed off.
Maybe it is a phantom drag problem. :-k
Are you using braid?
What probably is happening is that the line is slipping on the spool harbor.
Do a search in the forum for phantom drag and you'll get a solution. ;)

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:30 am

aqua71,

I’ve had customers over the years complain about the same issue while fishing in below freezing temps. If everything else is functioning properly, the issue you’re experiencing is likely due to contaminated drag washers.

The quick and easy solution is to replace them with c-tex washers and call it a day. On the other hand, if you have the time and want to tinker with the drag washers do the following:

1) Take a shallow pan and spread the drag washers throughout. Spray them liberally with brake cleaner and let them soak for 15 minutes or more.
2) Using a stiff brush remove any residues from both sides of the washers while they’re still submerged in the brake fluid and let them soak for another 15 minutes.
3) Remove the washers from the pan and discard the dirty brake fluid.
4) Clean and dry the pan then repeat all the steps above.
5) After completing the second treatment place all the washers on a lint free towel and let them thoroughly air dry.
6) Apply a very light coat of Cal’s or Shimano drag grease and reassemble the reel.

You may need to adjust the length of time the washers soak or the number of cleaning cycles depending on how badly the washers are contaminated, but the process I described above has worked for me every time.

Let us know how it all works out.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks, I'll pick up some brake cleaner and give it a try. Any particular type/brand I should look for?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:44 pm

aqua71 wrote:Thanks, I'll pick up some brake cleaner and give it a try. Any particular type/brand I should look for?
Being I'm a mechanic by trade I can assure you they're all basically the same.

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 am

aqua71 wrote:Thanks, I'll pick up some brake cleaner and give it a try. Any particular type/brand I should look for?
My preferred type/brand:

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:17 am

uljersey wrote:
Being I'm a mechanic by trade I can assure you they're all basically the same.
You are more than likely correct.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Just be sure and be in a well ventilated area, you can catch an unwanted buzz from that stuff if you're not careful.

maibinenu
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by maibinenu » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:08 am

I had a similar issue with a Shimano Antares
zero drag at cold ...being impossible to be fished ...once back in house the reel worked fine
i tried everything ....no result

i changed the drag washers with Carbontex and...solved ! no issues anymore
So i think that the drag washers were damaged by the previous reel user by keeping the reel stored with the drag setting at maximum.

worth giving a try by replacing the washers ....

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:33 pm

maibinenu wrote:I had a similar issue with a Shimano Antares
zero drag at cold ...being impossible to be fished ...once back in house the reel worked fine
i tried everything ....no result

i changed the drag washers with Carbontex and...solved ! no issues anymore
So i think that the drag washers were damaged by the previous reel user by keeping the reel stored with the drag setting at maximum.

worth giving a try by replacing the washers ....
Shimano uses a grease in their bicycle gear shifters that is known to cause issues in cold temperatures. I have about four decades of experience with Shimano's fishing and cycling products. My guess is that the Daiwa grease has similar issues.
The stock SV103 drag washers are solid, and shouldn't give you problems if you keep the drag tightened. I have several SV103 reels that I keep the drag locked down on, and I have had no performance issues in warm weather. I wouldn't hesitate to put in Carbontex washers though. They are a slight improvement.