Reel Repair Question

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Mavn
Angler
Angler

Reel Repair Question

Post by Mavn » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:58 pm

I haven't taken apart and cleaned/ fixed reels before. So here's the issue. My spool will spin fast enough to cause a small backlash, with the clutch engaged, if you give it enough resistance i.e. working a jerkbait, walking a spook, even hopping a senko caused it recently. Spin the handle fast and stop it quick, it sounds like a reel with a clicker until the spool stop rotating.

I thought it was the AR bearing so I tried replacing it, put the new one in and it's still doing it.
Could someone help me figure out what's wrong?

For things that I don't think matter, but will include anyways. This is a cheap BPS tourney special baitcaster, I know I shouldn't expect it to last long, but I'm hoping now that this issue has occurred, I can have a learning experience with it and I'm not afraid of tinkering with it.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Reel Repair Question

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Sounds like the spool cross pin jumping out of the slots in the pinion gear. Usually caused by weakened yoke springs, and typically results in damage to both spool pin and pinion gear.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm glad I saw this post. I gave my buddy an old curado super free and it has been doing this. I'm going to stick in some yoke springs that were made this century and see if it helps!!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:55 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:I'm glad I saw this post. I gave my buddy an old curado super free and it has been doing this. I'm going to stick in some yoke springs that were made this century and see if it helps!!
I have also just carefully stretched out the yoke springs to give them a little more tension.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.