hedghog ZR

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

hedghog ZR

Post by PBP » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:35 am

Are hedghog ZR bearing considered to be an upgrade to Shimano stock? Or they are pretty much the same quality performance wise?
Last edited by PBP on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: hedghog ZR

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 am

Slight upgrade. Distance isnt huge, but ease of casting is nice. Personally, for the money I like the HawgTech ceramics better.
<")))><{

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am

good, thank you, this is what I thought after reading all the post regarding ZR.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:24 am

ZR's are a good bang for the buck bearing - nicer than stock, but not as nice as the high end bearings. I've not tried Hawgtech, but have good results with ZPI Office bearings in my higher end reels, or HedgeHog Air bearings in my finesse setups.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:51 pm

I believe shimano bearings to be the better of the oem bearings and since I have found TSI-321 I haven't found the need to upgrade bearings. I run Daiwa reels and run the factory bearings that have been flushed with acetone then treated with TSI-321

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:I believe shimano bearings to be the better of the oem bearings and since I have found TSI-321 I haven't found the need to upgrade bearings. I run Daiwa reels and run the factory bearings that have been flushed with acetone then treated with TSI-321
^^ this

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:14 pm

The ZR is a great stainless bearing built for casting heavier baits. It is an upgrade from stock, but don't expect to be able to cast to the moon. You should use the ZR to replace your stock bearings when they are worn out. Not having a shield on one side makes them easy to clean.
The small SIC balls in the Hedgehog Air and other finesse bearings will cast lighter baits better because the smaller balls are easier to start moving, and the SIC material is harder with less friction than stainless balls.
I throw heavy baits frequently. So, I have ZR bearings in most of my reels. I like the Alchemy Oil Medium Light to lube them.