who makes the best lube and grease?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
fishingfe
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

who makes the best lube and grease?

Post by fishingfe » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:09 am

almost run out the one comes with reel,and where can I get it.need some advise
thanks

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: who makes the best lube and grease?

Post by ChuckE » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:19 am

Reel lubes are just like rods, reels and other tackle. There are many different opinions and preferences, and you'll find a wide range of materials in use--some not even originally intended for reels.

I use Hot Sauce oil and grease and have had very good results. The key is to get the parts extremely clean and free of old oil/grease, debris, etc. so the Hot Sauce adheres to the metal for the best protection and lube. If you do that, it will last a long time. I clean metal parts in acetone, dry them, and immediately coat them with lube.

Hot Sauce contains a lubricant, protectant and an anti-oxidant, and is made specifically as a light lube for reels. The nice thing is that it is red, and you can see what has been coated, etc. as you put it on.

You can get Hot Sauce from Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops and other locations. It is made by Quantum.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:27 am

Try the Hot Sauce! ChuckE knows his stuff! :D

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:29 am

Hot sauce is all I use. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

justgopen
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by justgopen » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:40 am

same...Hot Sauce really does the job nicely. Doesn't give that resistance feel of some other lubes.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:04 am

I thought I'd add a little more about lube, since after reading your original post, you have been using the lube that came with the reel.

It is important to not mix lubricant types in small precision equipment, including reels. Some lubes are of a totally different base and when mixed with other lubricants they can have unpredictable results and cause poorer operation than expected. Mixing lubes could coagulate the filler(cause it to lump), neutralize anti-oxidants, and even change the viscosity of the lubricant itself. The net effect can be a loss of protection and lube, rougher operation, extreme changes in density which are especially noticable at lower or higher ambient temperature, and poor adherence which will require more frequent applications (e.g. due to wash off).

So, if you change lubricant type (even a different type offered by the same manufacturer), you want to remove as much of the original lube as possible, before applying a different lube. Most anglers stay with the same grease/oil that they have been using until a convenient time, and change over to a different type at the end of the season or when they have their reel cleaned. It's a lot more work than one would initially think, but it is worth it in the long run.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

John Gaustad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John Gaustad » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:32 am

Hot Sauce lube and grease is pretty good stuff.

fishingfe
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishingfe » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:25 am

Hot Sauce!seems like everyone uses it and likes it.the hot sauce is the real name for it or?
thanks guys.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:39 am

yea its quantums hot sauce, the only thing I like from them haha. :lol: Most places carry it so im sure you can find it pretty easy.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:45 am

I use several brands, depending on the reel and application. Hot Sauce Grease and Oil is fine for just about everything, but I still use Yellow Rocket Fuel on spool bearings, and Shimano Drag Grease on drag washers. I'm trying various stuff on pinion support bearings to see what hold up best.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Hot sauce it is.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:43 pm

Have you guys ever tried products made for rc cars? RPM makes a tool called the bearing blaster for cleaning bearings. Their are also several different lubes such as acer.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/t ... tm#blaster
Attachments
bearing blaster.jpg
bearing blaster.jpg (17.99 KiB) Viewed 6421 times

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:29 am

i use hot sauce grease on my gears and have recently been using yellow rocket fuel oil on my bearings can't really say that i've noticed a difference in oils though between yellow rocket and hot sauce oil both great oils

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:54 am

fishingfe wrote:the hot sauce is the real name for it or?
You can find them in almost every tackle shop:

Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Oil
Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Grease

SB

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:21 am

illinoisbassfishin wrote:...can't really say that i've noticed a difference in oils though between yellow rocket and hot sauce oil both great oils
i'll be the lone dissenter and recommend either yellow rocket fuel or speed-x as lubes for bearings. hot sauce is ok as a lubricant but rather poor in terms of corrosion protection.

quantum claims that hot sauce "forms a permanent molecular bond" to internal metal parts. really? so i guess this means that you only need to use it once, twice at the most...NOT!

another problem is the red dye. the lubricating components of hot sauce can be washed away but you will still see the red coloration and assume that you can put off re-lubing, but in reality your bearings are spinning in dye not lube.

after using hot sauce in a few saltwater reels i switched back to speed-x. for my freshwater reels i use yellow rocket fuel for the spool bearings.

i use cal's grease for HT-100 and carbontex drags, and shimano drag grease for dartainium drags only. i use cal's for gears and non-spool bearings as well, since it's versatile enough to be used for both...