15 Aldebaran/MGL gear swap with 16 Aldebaran BFS

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

15 Aldebaran/MGL gear swap with 16 Aldebaran BFS

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:20 am

I know this was touched in the Shimano Support section but...we know manufacturer's definition of fit is different than ours.

The BFS has the speedy 8.1 gears available. Changes off the top of my head would be the drag clicker function. I imagine this most likely affects the drag stack and ultimately, would lead to a swap being no bueno.

Is there a way WE could make it work? I got an 8.1 and would be interested to pick up an MGL and swap if it's possible. I'd be maybe "replacing" a Steez SV TW 8.1 if the 8.1 gears can get into the MGL.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 15 Aldebaran/MGL gear swap with 16 Aldebaran BFS

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:42 am

No idea if gears will fit as far as size, but to answer the drag clicker part of the question, it’s simply a hole drilled through the gear for a plastic piece to fit through that holds the clicker and spring. Recently did this with a Stile swapping for brass Curado 70 gears. Easy enough.

The keyed washer is 2 pieces, aluminum keyed plate with plastic ring that surrounds it with ridges to make the clicking sound. Main thing you’d have to be sure of is the inside diameter of the main gear to be sure the click plate will fit. If that doesn’t fit obviously the clicker wouldn’t work.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:00 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:No idea if gears will fit as far as size, but to answer the drag clicker part of the question, it’s simply a hole drilled through the gear for a plastic piece to fit through that holds the clicker and spring. Recently did this with a Stile swapping for brass Curado 70 gears. Easy enough.

The keyed washer is 2 pieces, aluminum keyed plate with plastic ring that surrounds it with ridges to make the clicking sound. Main thing you’d have to be sure of is the inside diameter of the main gear to be sure the click plate will fit. If that doesn’t fit obviously the clicker wouldn’t work.
Not too concerned with the clicking function, as I will have the drag locked down or mostly locked down. I'll be using it for Texas Rigs.

I guess it will take for a person that owns both to flip flop the gears to see if they will physically fit. I'd imagine so because they are essentially the same reels, except for the spool and brakes, which shouldn't matter unless the pinion hole in the BFS is smaller than the MGL due to spool shaft diameter. Not sure what the difference in diameter is but, that is the biggest factor I'd imagine.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 pm

y2k88 wrote:Maybe translate this?
http://dbof.blog65.fc2.com/blog-entry-951.html
Looks promising!!!

Now...to pull the trigger on an MGL???

I love the Steez SV TW 1012 for this T rigs. Do you guys enjoy pitching with the MGL? I like a really free pitch reel. The SV allows me to freely pitch and then wind up and cast without touching the brakes. Have the MGL reels been treating you guys the same? I got a Bantam MGL but, it has 65lb braid on it. I'll be running 14lb FC on the Aldebaran if I get one