In need of JDM Daiwa Steez 103HL schematic

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

In need of JDM Daiwa Steez 103HL schematic

Post by DetroitBassN » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:52 am

I need the schematic for a JDM Steez 103HL I have that I’d like to gut and clean out. Also is there any worthy upgrades I can do to this reel?

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: In need of JDM Daiwa Steez 103HL schematic

Post by lzeil » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:54 am

https://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/par ... id/84/%20'

click the parts drawing link

upgrades i've done...drag, spool bearings, sv spool...rest is just bling :)

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Also gotta add, its a very easy reel to work with (like most older Daiwas). If you have a stock 103, i'd upgrade the star drag to a long arm version from SLP, carbontex drag washers and a pair of quality bearings from kta/hedgehog/zpi, it doesn't matter which, they're all good, just stay far away from the overpriced pos known as BOCA bearings. Those are the only semi important parts to upgrade. The rest is just "for fun".

DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler

Post by DetroitBassN » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Aside from plat where’s good places to buy spools drags and bearings? Please give links. At the time of purchase I was told I wouldn’t get better spool bearings then what we’re on my JDM Steez 103HL. The drag I definitely would like tougher it’s getting worn. I took this reel apart only one time fully before to clean it. I was told to stick with the red Daiwa’s oil but don’t know what I should use for grease. I also don’t know where to buy that red Daiwa oil as it wasn’t for sale anywhere at the time. It handles lighter lures well just wish it could handle 1/4 oz a little better. Open to spool recommendations and places that carry them. Thanks

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:31 pm

For my OG Steez's, I really only upgrade the drag, and swap over to ZPI Office bearings - although the OEM Steez bearings are actually pretty decent imo. I only have 100's but if I had the 103 I would swap out to a 90mm handle from a 100 version as well - all available from Tackle Trap. I've never really thought about upgrading the drag star, will have to take a look at that SLP one mentioned above. I typically match oil to the bearings, and generally use Cal's drag grease or Shimano grease as needed.

As for spool changes, the 103 spool is one of the best out there, really. Excels at lightweight presentations and pitching, so I'm surprised to hear you are having issues at 1/4oz - that is right in the 103's wheelhouse. I'd do the basic maintenance changes first them decide if you really need a different spool. Luckily the Steez uses 34mm spool which is the most popular and has the most options for upgrade :).

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:45 pm

DetroitBassN wrote:Aside from plat where’s good places to buy spools drags and bearings? Please give links. At the time of purchase I was told I wouldn’t get better spool bearings then what we’re on my JDM Steez 103HL. The drag I definitely would like tougher it’s getting worn. I took this reel apart only one time fully before to clean it. I was told to stick with the red Daiwa’s oil but don’t know what I should use for grease. I also don’t know where to buy that red Daiwa oil as it wasn’t for sale anywhere at the time. It handles lighter lures well just wish it could handle 1/4 oz a little better. Open to spool recommendations and places that carry them. Thanks
In addition to Plat you can look at:
Mikesreelrepair.com for schematics and parts incl washers
hedgehog-studio.co.jp for parts including bearings and spools
smoothdrag.com for drag washers
Amazon.co.jp for spools and bearings etc

Spools to consider:
SLP/RCS 1012 G1 SV (or 1016)
ZPI NRC001-M (or PG) - these spools come with 2 zpi bearings
KTF spool (only sold at karil.co.jp as far as I know)
Rays or Momos chinamade “diy” spools sold on aliexpress.com
There also other spools including some hard to find stuff...