Need help putting back together this alphas!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
breamtim
Angler
Angler

Need help putting back together this alphas!

Post by breamtim » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi all
Recently my alphas SV felt a little dry so I took it apart to oil. All was fine until I got to putting the drag/handle assembly back together . I made sure to place all the parts in order so I knew how to put it together but silly me ended up with a small gold nut which I don't know where it goes. I presume it's part of the drag assembly as the drag does not work without it but I still cannot work out where it goes. I can't even see it on the schematics. Anyone able to help? 8-[
Thanks in advance, tim

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need help putting back together this alphas!

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:44 am

Would this be a hex nut? The one that should be tucked inside the drag star?
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:32 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Would this be a hex nut? The one that should be tucked inside the drag star?
I dont think the SV105 has a separate nut and star. All 3 that I've owned have the same star as the SS SV, only painted to match the reel.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 am

A pic of the part would be helpful. There is an article at Tackle Tour on the maintenance of a daiwa sol with pics. http://www.tackletour.com/articlereelma ... tdsol.html Or you could download a reel schematic for that reel.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Would this be a hex nut? The one that should be tucked inside the drag star?
I dont think the SV105 has a separate nut and star. All 3 that I've owned have the same star as the SS SV, only painted to match the reel.
It’s not separate like some of the Daiwa reels that utilize the square nut/spring combo like on a Shimano, but it has a gold hex nut that clips into the drag star. It can be removed and it sounds like what the op has done.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:18 am

The only gold nut on that reel would be the one that goes inside the drag star. You can see it in the picture below if you zoom in. What exactly did you oil? You should be using grease and not oil to lubricate your Alphas inside.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
It’s not separate like some of the Daiwa reels that utilize the square nut/spring combo like on a Shimano, but it has a gold hex nut that clips into the drag star. It can be removed and it sounds like what the op has done.
This exactly. The only reason why it struck a chord is because I just finished modifying a SV105 star to work on my 04Pixy Yellow :lol:
<")))><{

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:24 pm

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 pm

To the OP- if that's what you've done, I hope you were careful. I've broken a couple of those cheap plastic drag star(the tines in the center of the star that hold the nut in place). Those things are fragile, to say the least.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

breamtim
Angler
Angler

Post by breamtim » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks for the help all, reel is back together working perfectly