2008 Daiwa TD Fuego 1000A - Adding grease?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

2008 Daiwa TD Fuego 1000A - Adding grease?

Post by ultralight » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Playing around with one of these older Daiwa UL TD Fuego 1000A. I took off the bottom corner plate (for lack of a better word) that is held to the body with one screw. And there's a cutout where a gear is visible.

Two questions:

1. Can I just add grease through the 'window' to lubricate the main gearing?

2. And can I just add the blue Daiwa grease or must I strip the old grease off first?

3. And if I have the JDM version, I assume they use the same grease? (Luvias)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

UL

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: 2008 Daiwa TD Fuego 1000A - Adding grease?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 pm

If you don't want to disassemble the reel completely, then use a q-tip to remove all the old grease you can. Then add the new grease there at the 'window'. Yes, the blue Daiwa grease is compatible.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks! Much appreciated. By Q-tip, do you mean through that window? That's an awfully small window to take grease out but will tri.

Love to have more comments.

Thanks!
UL

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:43 pm

ultralight wrote:Thanks! Much appreciated. By Q-tip, do you mean through that window? That's an awfully small window to take grease out but will tri.

Love to have more comments.

Thanks!
UL
I mean to turn the handle and let the swab ride on the main gear as thoroughly as you can. A good trick is to remove some of the cotton and flatten the tip before inserting in on top of the gear. You could also carefully add grease with a small flat tip screwdriver in that little window. I have a Certate 1000 that has the same opening at the rear. Its good for adding a quick dab of grease.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Thank you. Much appreciated.