Replacing spool bearing on ALPHAS SV spool shaft question

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Replacing spool bearing on ALPHAS SV spool shaft question

Post by tditox4 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Question ,does anyone on this forum know if the bearing and the sleeve can be replaced? I attempted to use the bearing from my sunburst zonda spool, but it is thinner than the SV spool bearing and sleeve together. What is the purpose of the sleeve and why is it necessary? Can I just swap it out for the zonda bearing even if is narrower in width? Also, does anyone know what quality that original sleeve /bearing is? I was looking to put the bearing that I put on the zonda spool, a hedgehog studio bearing, on the ALPHAS SV spool. Any help is appreciated.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Replacing spool bearing on ALPHAS SV spool shaft question

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm

you will need a 3X10x4 bearing for the spool. The reasoning behind the smaller diameter shaft and sleeve is to match bearing sizes as close as possible to lessen imbalance between the bearings. with shaft sizes the same both ends and similar sized bearings the balls in the bearings move at similar speeds, with 3mm shaft and 5mm shaft the bearings have a bigger differential and the balls in the bearings travel at different speeds which can create a slight imbalance in the spool

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:23 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:you will need a 3X10x4 bearing for the spool. The reasoning behind the smaller diameter shaft and sleeve is to match bearing sizes as close as possible to lessen imbalance between the bearings. with shaft sizes the same both ends and similar sized bearings the balls in the bearings move at similar speeds, with 3mm shaft and 5mm shaft the bearings have a bigger differential and the balls in the bearings travel at different speeds which can create a slight imbalance in the spool
Thanks for the reply. I finally noticed that the zonda spool( pin side) has a larger diameter than the ALPHAS sv spool ,I'm old. So that 3x10x4 bearing will fit on the alphas sv spool shaft? Do you know what the bearing is in hedgehog studios terms....1030,830,1150, etc. I would like to install HH bfs air.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:29 pm

tditox4 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:you will need a 3X10x4 bearing for the spool. The reasoning behind the smaller diameter shaft and sleeve is to match bearing sizes as close as possible to lessen imbalance between the bearings. with shaft sizes the same both ends and similar sized bearings the balls in the bearings move at similar speeds, with 3mm shaft and 5mm shaft the bearings have a bigger differential and the balls in the bearings travel at different speeds which can create a slight imbalance in the spool
Thanks for the reply. I finally noticed that the zonda spool( pin side) has a larger diameter than the ALPHAS sv spool ,I'm old. So that 3x10x4 bearing will fit on the alphas sv spool shaft? Do you know what the bearing is in hedgehog studios terms....1030,830,1150, etc. I would like to install HH bfs air.
1030 for the spool and 830 for the side plate spool bearings, 1150 is the full size spool bearing for 5mm shafts.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:30 pm

the bearing will need to go inside the spacer sleeve that is currently on your spool.

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:08 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
tditox4 wrote:
1030 for the spool and 830 for the side plate spool bearings, 1150 is the full size spool bearing for 5mm shafts.
Based on what you have told me, would the 1150 be ok to use on its own, without the sleeve? Balance , etc.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 am

tditox4 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
tditox4 wrote:
Based on what you have told me, would the 1150 be ok to use on its own, without the sleeve? Balance , etc.
No because the shaft is smaller diameter and the 1150 will be sloppy on it. With the sleep the outside diameter is 11mm. But the inside diameter of the bearing needs to be 3mm

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:47 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
tditox4 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
tditox4 wrote:
No because the shaft is smaller diameter and the 1150 will be sloppy on it. With the sleep the outside diameter is 11mm. But the inside diameter of the bearing needs to be 3mm
Thanks a million for helping this old guy out. 1030 it is then.