TD Z 7.1:1 RH gears

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: TD Z 7.1:1 RH gears

Post by jjbassnforfun » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:24 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:Updates on the testing. Hopefully these members can share their thoughts here on the sets they received??

LgMouthGambler set had issues and he said they locked up. I'm still waiting to receive them back to inspect what went wrong. :(

IlliniDawg01 got his installed, But not sure he had a chance to use them.

soulfisher set work well and he is thrilled with them. He has fished the heck out of them and no issues.

hoohoorjoo set had a slight tick on install. But he said they worked their way out. Not sure how much he got to fish them.

Hoping to get started on a production run, But need to investigate the one bad set before I proceed!!
Did you get mine back yet?
Not yet. Curious to what went wrong!! :(
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:17 am

jjbassnforfun wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:Updates on the testing. Hopefully these members can share their thoughts here on the sets they received??

LgMouthGambler set had issues and he said they locked up. I'm still waiting to receive them back to inspect what went wrong. :(

IlliniDawg01 got his installed, But not sure he had a chance to use them.

soulfisher set work well and he is thrilled with them. He has fished the heck out of them and no issues.

hoohoorjoo set had a slight tick on install. But he said they worked their way out. Not sure how much he got to fish them.

Hoping to get started on a production run, But need to investigate the one bad set before I proceed!!
Did you get mine back yet?
I dont know. Seems like they didnt mesh well.
<")))><{

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:30 am

soulfisher wrote:Just sent you a PM, but i'll include it in the thread to share.

"I have another 5 hours on the gear set and adding 8 more fish. Yesterday near end of mission, i heard a slight tick that seemed to repeat at the same interval during retrieve. It went away almost quickly as it appeared, but i set the reel aside just in case. I was cranking a shad rap when it occurred.

I will open it up, clean, grease, and put in another tdz this evening and see if there is anything to it. I think it was just an anomaly or maybe there is was FOD in there because the tick went away a couple casts later. I'll let you know what i find out tonight"

Update: I took a long lunch was able to clean them, put them in a different R+ reel, and take a dozen casts with a 3/8oz chatterbait. I had no problems at all and in fact they felt smoother than the previous reel, but i also just made the switch from rocket fuel grease to super lube so that could have been the difference in smoothness - the super lube is as smooth as duck butter. Before I took the gears out of the reel that I thought I felt a tic in, I reeled it off the rod for a bit to see if it was still there and it was not. Like i said before it came and went quickly.

The gears have been in a TD-ito, R, and R+. There are over 13hrs on this gear set to include punching with 1 3/4 tungsten in heavy hydrilla, 1/2 spinner baits, ripping shad raps, jigs, chatterbait and my Son has even taken it shiner fishing (see pic below from Sunday). Bottom contact is what intend to use them for, but wanted to test them on a wide variety of baits to put different loads on the gear. Aside from that very brief tic (which I now don't think was the gears) they have been amazing and couldn't be happier with them. I honestly never thought this day would come :D

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:55 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:
Got them today, Looks like I have to point my finger at the machinist and do a better quality control before I ship these!! The pinion was machined on the wrong angle!! :x

Thanks for shipping them back!!

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:59 pm

soulfisher wrote:
soulfisher wrote:Just sent you a PM, but i'll include it in the thread to share.

"I have another 5 hours on the gear set and adding 8 more fish. Yesterday near end of mission, i heard a slight tick that seemed to repeat at the same interval during retrieve. It went away almost quickly as it appeared, but i set the reel aside just in case. I was cranking a shad rap when it occurred.

I will open it up, clean, grease, and put in another tdz this evening and see if there is anything to it. I think it was just an anomaly or maybe there is was FOD in there because the tick went away a couple casts later. I'll let you know what i find out tonight"

Update: I took a long lunch was able to clean them, put them in a different R+ reel, and take a dozen casts with a 3/8oz chatterbait. I had no problems at all and in fact they felt smoother than the previous reel, but i also just made the switch from rocket fuel grease to super lube so that could have been the difference in smoothness - the super lube is as smooth as duck butter. Before I took the gears out of the reel that I thought I felt a tic in, I reeled it off the rod for a bit to see if it was still there and it was not. Like i said before it came and went quickly.

The gears have been in a TD-ito, R, and R+. There are over 13hrs on this gear set to include punching with 1 3/4 tungsten in heavy hydrilla, 1/2 spinner baits, ripping shad raps, jigs, chatterbait and my Son has even taken it shiner fishing (see pic below from Sunday). Bottom contact is what intend to use them for, but wanted to test them on a wide variety of baits to put different loads on the gear. Aside from that very brief tic (which I now don't think was the gears) they have been amazing and couldn't be happier with them. I honestly never thought this day would come :D

Nice chunks! Glad your enjoying them!! Keep on beating them. I really want to see how much these can take and last!! 8-)

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:53 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:
Got them today, Looks like I have to point my finger at the machinist and do a better quality control before I ship these!! The pinion was machined on the wrong angle!! :x

Thanks for shipping them back!!
No problem. I'm honored to have been chosen to help you in your path.
<")))><{

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:53 am

You're all doing great collaborative work on these breeders, I salute you!! =D> =D>

@jjbassnforfun: do you think you might be interested in making a set of faster gears for the ugly duckling TD-Z's...?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:46 am

adam lancia wrote:You're all doing great collaborative work on these breeders, I salute you!! =D> =D>

@jjbassnforfun: do you think you might be interested in making a set of faster gears for the ugly duckling TD-Z's...?
If I may interject- the gear set he sent me already suffers from a lack of torque. This is due to the limited overall O.D. of the main gear. They are great for bottom-contact like dragging a T-rig or a jig with trailer, but it was hard-going with a big double-willow spinnerbait. Adding a 90mm handle did help some. If there was to be a set of higher-speed gears, I think they would force you to work overtime when the reel is under load. "Nature of the beast", I'm afraid.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:48 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
adam lancia wrote:You're all doing great collaborative work on these breeders, I salute you!! =D> =D>

If I may interject- this is no knock or detraction from these gears, so please, no one take it that way. The gear set he sent me already suffers from a lack of torque. This is due to the limited overall O.D. of the main gear. They are great for bottom-contact like dragging a T-rig or a jig with trailer, but it was hard-going with a big double-willow spinnerbait. Adding a 90mm handle did help some. If there was to be a set of higher-speed gears, I think they would force you to work overtime when the reel is under load. A victim of geometry and space constraints inside the gear housing, I'm afraid.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 am

There are definitely a number of variables to sort out, most of which I'm unable to actually measure (gear size vs cranking efficiency, gearbox size vs gear size, etc...) by I though that the pinion might be small enough to get a bigger main gear in there and speed it up a bit.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:21 am

Sorry I haven't been providing feedback.

I'm afraid my set doesn't seem to be meshing well similar to LgMouthGambler's. They feel very tight and bind. I hadn't said anything yet as I was hoping I had just done something wrong in reassembly.

I need to swap back in my original gear set and verify it is the gears and not user error.

DaveJ

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:20 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Sorry I haven't been providing feedback.

I'm afraid my set doesn't seem to be meshing well similar to LgMouthGambler's. They feel very tight and bind. I hadn't said anything yet as I was hoping I had just done something wrong in reassembly.

I need to swap back in my original gear set and verify it is the gears and not user error.

DaveJ
Dawg,

Could you please send your set back for evaluation?

Thanks!!

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:31 am

Pretty bad when 50% of the production run is total poop!! Gonna need to rethink the machining process! :oops:

I chatted with the machinist and we think the pinion is getting deformed under the pressure during machining. Basically a deflection of the blank under the force of the tool...... :crying: I'm likely done, Unless a simple solution can be found!! Sorry fella's, But ya can't say I didn't try. ](*,)

Glad it was just me who lost coins!!

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:16 am

jjbassnforfun wrote:Pretty bad when 50% of the production run is total poop!! Gonna need to rethink the machining process! :oops:

I chatted with the machinist and we think the pinion is getting deformed under the pressure during machining. Basically a deflection of the blank under the force of the tool...... :crying: I'm likely done, Unless a simple solution can be found!! Sorry fella's, But ya can't say I didn't try. ](*,)

Glad it was just me who lost coins!!
I'd hate to see you give up now, but I know you have put some coins out there to get this far. I have had the past week off and have been fishing the hek out of the gear all week. I have had no issues with it at all and couldn't be happier. Yes there are some torque obstacles with larger moving baits but, those issues are not noticeable with bottom contact and top-water at all. Just wish there were more available.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Update: My gear set appears to be good after all.

Before I shipped it back I wanted to be certain it wasn't user error. I took the gears out of the reel and pot the originals in and they had the exact same problem. Turns out I made a mistake when reassembling the reel from complete teardown. I swapped the handle nut retainer screw with the screw that holds the bottom of the crankshaft retainer plate down. When the drag was cranked down at all it was rubbing on the underside of the clutch engage gear. I put the gears in my other TDZ and they feel nice and free now. Not butter smooth, but they haven't been worn in at all yet.

I'm stoked to try them out now! Damn the cold weather.

DaveJ