tatula ct noise

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

tatula ct noise

Post by johnD » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:18 am

I have a tatula ct type r , that is rattling when you put tension on the spool. You can tighten the spool tension knob and it kinda goes away..I've replaced the spool bearings and anti reverse bearing. Any suggestions ?

Thank you for your time.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: tatula ct noise

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:27 am

Is the spool axle bent a bit and the spool's rubbing on the frame?

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:19 pm

I took the spool from another tat ct , still did it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:49 pm

So if it isn't the spool, isn't the bearings, isn't the anti reverse, then it must be levelwind related, pinion possibly, main gear, etc.

I would just do a slow elimination of all major components. Some times a good cleaning could remove dirt or grit touching the spool, that would explain why a different spool maintained the issue. When you say putting tension on the spool do you mean under load like catching a fish or tightening the cast control then reeling. There are 3 total bearings for the spool/pinion to check, 2 on the main gear, the anti reverse has already been done, and the handle shouldn't have anything to do with your issue.

So the short answer, maybe check the gears (especially pinion) and levelwind components???

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:37 am

I have a Tat Sv that has a "rattle" when ripping a trap or chatterbait, sounds like it's coming from the inductor. Going to swap the palm plate brg and see what happens. A jig or worm it's fine, only happens with a vibrating bait. :-k

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 am

DirtyD64 wrote:So if it isn't the spool, isn't the bearings, isn't the anti reverse, then it must be levelwind related, pinion possibly, main gear, etc.

I would just do a slow elimination of all major components. Some times a good cleaning could remove dirt or grit touching the spool, that would explain why a different spool maintained the issue. When you say putting tension on the spool do you mean under load like catching a fish or tightening the cast control then reeling. There are 3 total bearings for the spool/pinion to check, 2 on the main gear, the anti reverse has already been done, and the handle shouldn't have anything to do with your issue.

So the short answer, maybe check the gears (especially pinion) and levelwind components???
I'm thinking pinion gear. Just hard to believe , this reel only has about 2 months of use on it but ,it's been frog fishing the whole time. I already messed up the spool bearing on the gear side , that's why it has new spool bearings.. I guess , I'll pop the pinion gear out of one of these other tats and keep switching parts until it goes away.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:29 pm

Since it is still under warranty I just mailed it back to daiwa this afternoon...figured that would be the cheapest thing to do. pretty sure I had it narrowed down to the pinion support bearing. I'll try to remember to update the thread when I get it back.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:21 pm

johnD wrote:Since it is still under warranty I just mailed it back to daiwa this afternoon...figured that would be the cheapest thing to do. pretty sure I had it narrowed down to the pinion support bearing. I'll try to remember to update the thread when I get it back.
Please do, I like to try and guess what's wrong with reels. Daiwa can be slow at times for warranty work, but they have always treated me really, really well.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:47 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
johnD wrote:Since it is still under warranty I just mailed it back to daiwa this afternoon...figured that would be the cheapest thing to do. pretty sure I had it narrowed down to the pinion support bearing. I'll try to remember to update the thread when I get it back.
Please do, I like to try and guess what's wrong with reels. Daiwa can be slow at times for warranty work, but they have always treated me really, really well.
will do. just ordered another fuego to use while it's gone. those little reels are hard to beat for $60 ! ;)

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:51 pm

Got a call from daiwa today , talked to one of the reel techs..he thought it was something with idle gear , chipped tooth possibly.
Anyways , he stuck a new reel in the mail today. Told him how much I appreciated it..If anybody has some reels they want to send in , he said they are on a same day or next day turn around right now.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:48 am

Thats some stellar service. =D>
<")))><{

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:27 pm