Daiwa Mag dial

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Mag dial

Post by Obz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:27 pm

On my alphas sv and tdz105 the cast control dial doesn't catch. I have to press it towards the reel to change them and I really don't know what setting they are on because it slips. Quick fix?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Mag dial

Post by iabass8 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:45 am

cast control dial and mag brake dial are 2 different things.

The mag dial is held in place /w a spring and a 90 degree piece of thin metal. Set the brakes all the way up, remove the bearing and the shims under neath it, unscrew the mag brake from the side plate. The dial is now accessible. There's a small, metal, right angle piece of metal that has to fit really snug on that lip. Press in on the dial screw and make sure that piece is seated between the frame and the dial. It will fit correctly once seated correctly. It can be a pain to get right, too. Also make sure the spring under the dial is still there. If the c clip that holds the spring on fell off, make sure the spacer didn't fall off. That will shim the screw up to the dial. Some reels have a shim, some don't. I believe the TDZ did but it's been a while since I've changed the brake dial screw.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Mag dial

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:43 am

My SV105 has the same issue with the free wheeling mag dial. This reel just gets worse and worse. Might have to look into trading it.