sticky inductor ??

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

sticky inductor ??

Post by johns » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:38 am

I have a t3 1016 that I love. The problem is 98% of the time it casts great but the other 2 % it acts like there are no brakes and backlashes within 20 feet. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it is going to happen. When it happens I bang on the side of the reel and it fixes it till the next time. Is there a way to fix this , oil or maybe stretch out the spring by pulling out the inductor? Other than lubing the spool bearings I know nothing about reels. Maybe it isnt the inductor??? thanks for any help. john

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: sticky inductor ??

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:50 am

There is a black ramp beveled to fit another angular piece on the brake inductor. These angled ramps cause the inductor to shoot out into the magnets when rotary motion is applied. Regular Magforce Z reels extend straight out and do not twist therefore do not stick. Newer Daiwa's (some SV103's, Steez SV & SV TW, Zillion SV TW, etc.) have a WHITE ramp preventing sticking. The original black ramp (on your reel I assume and was on my SV105) contains a gap where the edges "stick" or fall behind each other. This causes odd braking but will go back to normal when it retracts back down.

The white ramp block can be purchased here and isn't too hard of an install:

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... a0b1890ee2

And installation instructions here:

http://kenken-020412.blogspot.com/2013/ ... edy_3.html

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 am

thanks for the info. My spool is not an sv spool. Would this still apply?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:10 pm

johns wrote:thanks for the info. My spool is not an sv spool. Would this still apply?
Well now I feel crazy. Should have read better. Actually that changes everything. I am not sure, never heard many reports of MagZ messing up. Does your reel have Magforce 3D or what exact reel is it???

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:05 pm

yes 3d...the original t3 1016. I can pull the inductor straight. Was hoping for at least a temporay fix to get me thru the summer till I can send it to the tackle trap this winter. Seems like all my reels are starting to have little problems all of a sudden.thanks again

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:05 pm

Sounds like some grit or something has made its way down into the inductor side of the spool. Pull the spool, spray it down good with some CRC Electrical component cleaner and blow it out. Then apply one drop of oil to each inductor ramp/block, and one drop on the spool shaft where the inductor rides. Move it in and out a few times, and then reinstall in the reel.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:27 am

thank you very much

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 am

You know, after the second time I read about your issues, I thought maybe it isn't the spool. I had a Tatula Type R the would cast perfect most of the time and then just go 20 feet and line everywhere. I had a bit of grit/dirt around the spool lip. Never heard the scratching or grinding like other times a reel has gotten sediment there, but once I cleaned the spool race of the frame with a Q-tip it fixed it for good.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:35 pm

had the same issue on the tdz type r. except i couldn't cast at all, even on max brakes. i thought the glue that held the magnets broke off and the magnet rings spun making it poor at controlling the spool, but it was a stuck inductor. I washed it with rubbing alcohol and a brush, all works nicely now.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:30 pm

Mine Alphas ct sv arrived from Japan with sticky inductor. And because it's complicated to return reel to overseas and it's extremely expensive from my country, I installed Ray's DIY inductor to it (and Magforce-Z spring). Now in my opinion it's very good: