Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby freelancer27 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi all,

I need a faster reel and I am wondering if I can upgrade my Steez A 6.3 to be a 8:1 instead of taking a loss at sale and then buying the 8:1 version.

Wondering if it is as easy as purchasing the gears here: http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/part ... ts_id=1782
Which would be items: 89+53?!

Thanks for your input.

Cheers!

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby iabass8 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Yes, all that would to be replaced is the main gear and pinion gear.

User avatar
ccass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Michigan (U.P)

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby ccass » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Really depends if you are going to use the 6.3 gears at all. Depending on what you can get an 8.1 for, it may be worth selling the 6.3. If you say fish plastics n the summer and tend to fish slower moving baits in the colder months, keeping both may be best because you can pop the 6.3 gears in for colder water moving baits and use the 8.1 for plastics and other fast pickup techniques.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby Kurt L » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Are the 8.1 Brass like on the Steez SV? just asking since i'm in the market for a new reel!

Kurt

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby freelancer27 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:14 pm

ccass wrote:Really depends if you are going to use the 6.3 gears at all. Depending on what you can get an 8.1 for, it may be worth selling the 6.3. If you say fish plastics n the summer and tend to fish slower moving baits in the colder months, keeping both may be best because you can pop the 6.3 gears in for colder water moving baits and use the 8.1 for plastics and other fast pickup techniques.



Not following your comment.
Are you suggesting I am selling the 6.3 reel in order to get the 8.1? I think I would prob get 290 USD for the 6.3 and would have to pay 370 USD to get the new 8:1.

--> Loss of 80 USD.

The gears alone would cost me around 60 USD. But I would still have the lower gears.



So to confirm I only would need items 89+53 from the link I posted?!

Thanks again!

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby iabass8 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:49 am

That .pdf wont open for me for some reason on plat but if those parts are the main gear and the pinion gear, yes, that is all you need. Also, compare both schematics drag stacks. Make sute each reel uses the same drag washers and key washers. That will make a difference.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:31 am

Kurt L wrote:Are the 8.1 Brass like on the Steez SV? just asking since i'm in the market for a new reel!

Kurt


Unfortunately from what research I have done, the Steez A and Steez SV TW (both XS) have aluminum gears. This being said, many people report them as being one of the more smooth reels you can own. Not sure about durability though, really not a big fan on the aluminum main gear trend...

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby freelancer27 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm

iabass8 wrote:That .pdf wont open for me for some reason on plat but if those parts are the main gear and the pinion gear, yes, that is all you need. Also, compare both schematics drag stacks. Make sute each reel uses the same drag washers and key washers. That will make a difference.


I am not able to find the reel schematic of the 8:1 version. I sent an email to Plat, but not sure if they going to help me with this.

Any thoughts?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby iabass8 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:10 am

freelancer27 wrote:
iabass8 wrote:That .pdf wont open for me for some reason on plat but if those parts are the main gear and the pinion gear, yes, that is all you need. Also, compare both schematics drag stacks. Make sute each reel uses the same drag washers and key washers. That will make a difference.


I am not able to find the reel schematic of the 8:1 version. I sent an email to Plat, but not sure if they going to help me with this.

Any thoughts?


Use this link for the steez sv tw 1012 xshl- this is the 8:1 LEFT hand.

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/part ... /1776/%20'

The .pdf works on that one.

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby freelancer27 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:15 am

iabass8 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
iabass8 wrote:That .pdf wont open for me for some reason on plat but if those parts are the main gear and the pinion gear, yes, that is all you need. Also, compare both schematics drag stacks. Make sute each reel uses the same drag washers and key washers. That will make a difference.


I am not able to find the reel schematic of the 8:1 version. I sent an email to Plat, but not sure if they going to help me with this.

Any thoughts?


Use this link for the steez sv tw 1012 xshl- this is the 8:1 LEFT hand.

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/part ... /1776/%20'

The .pdf works on that one.


That is a different reel, no?! So, not sure if I should use this as reference for the Steez A.

Thoughts?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby iabass8 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:45 am

Steez a and steez sv tw are the same reel. Only differences is frame material, spool, bearings and cosmetics. Double check that but im pretty sure. I havent swapped mine around.9

User avatar
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 936
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:00 pm
Location: Townsville , Queensland , Australia

Re: Upgrade Steez A 6.3:1 to 8:1?

Postby BARRAMANIAC » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:47 am

Steez A and SV use different gear sets. The Steez A gears are to thick to fit in the SV and rub on the side plate. I believe the Magnesium side plate of the SV is thicker than the aluminium steez A side plate. To use SV gears in a Steez A will also require a drive shaft change and steez SV drag plates and washers as drag setup is different in both reels.


Return to “Maintenance & SuperTuning Q&A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1nutinthewater and 1 guest