Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
kimberdan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby kimberdan » Fri May 18, 2018 6:38 pm

:crying: :crying:
Ok everyone, first time posting and still learning the format of the forum. So please be patient with my response.
So heres my issues. I dumped shimano after 12 years. Recently went threw many metaniums and aldebarans and this was my final straw with shimano.
So i now am the proud owner of 2 Daiwa steez sv tw reels and well the fist one was like reeling in nothing it was just amazing to me so then i ordered the second one a few days later.
The second one was not right out of the box.. and TW was out of stock so off to Daiwa it went... so back to the first one... i decide to take my #30 suffix braid off and put fc super sniper on it and went out to fish and boom its now doing the same thing as the second one was doing out of the box.
I have totally broken down the reel and looked at every single part looking for an issue..nothing...
What is it doing? The best way to discribe it is everytime the paw crosses over on the worm shaft its catching... but if i loosen the drag it no longer makes the (click).
As soon as the spool starts spinning you can feel it...
Any one have any idea any thing?
Also Daiwa can not figure it out either and will be sending me out a new reel when they come back in stock
Thank you in advance

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1432
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby DirtyD64 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Does seem odd. This isn't a Steez A? You just mentioned clicking and it confused me for a bit. Either way, how does the line lay and does the levelwind seem to be tracking back and forth correctly???

This is the first time I think I have seen this issue ever reported, nonetheless any issue with that particular reel. They will take good care of you though, should get a fix for both.

Back to the issue though, is there anything that could have possibly brought it on? Did you catch any monster fish? Drop the reel? Fish in heavy salt? Just trying to help diagnose the issue for you.

kimberdan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby kimberdan » Sat May 19, 2018 7:28 am

Hi, 1reel was doing it out of the box and the other was like a week old.. reel performed flawlessly until i took the braid off and put the floro back on. I went out and on the first cast it started with the click/ notch issue.
Reel has never been dropped and is kept in a reel cover all the time unless in use and rods as well...i tore the whole reel apart again last night and covered every single tooth with a jewlers magnifying head set and saw nothing...on any of the 4 gears.
Im just mythed... the tech at Daiwa was as well lol..
Ill try to discribe the issue a little clearer... if your looking at the worm shaft and start reeling in the line. Every time that pawl crosses over it feels like its getting caught on the point where it first crosses over...
More confusing is when i stop the spool the issues stops..so idk if it is the worm gear/pawl and only shows its self when there is tension on the line level of theres an issue with where the spool /pin meet the pinion gear..idk

kimberdan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby kimberdan » Sat May 19, 2018 7:31 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Does seem odd. This isn't a Steez A? You just mentioned clicking and it confused me for a bit. Either way, how does the line lay and does the levelwind seem to be tracking back and forth correctly???

This is the first time I think I have seen this issue ever reported, nonetheless any issue with that particular reel. They will take good care of you though, should get a fix for both.

Back to the issue though, is there anything that could have possibly brought it on? Did you catch any monster fish? Drop the reel? Fish in heavy salt? Just trying to help diagnose the issue for you.

Sorry still learning the forum... no salt not bass over 3 lbs never dropped and its not the A...and as i stated i seem to pick out of 1000 reels everyone i get will have something wrong with it lol
Also the line goes on perfect :oops: it works flawlessly except for the issue happens

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1432
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:44 am

I spooled up a ton of 15lb fluoro on my Tatula HD, and if I ever held the line by hand (didn't mean to) it would make a click, was pressure on the pawl making it move roughly through the worm gear of the levelwind. It still has zero issues though and is a very smooth reel.

Are you saying that your Steez SV TW is only doing this click when the T-wing is furthest to one side??? As it tracks left and right is the click only happening at furthest left or furthest right? A problem this strange is hard to get an idea of what is going on...

kimberdan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby kimberdan » Sat May 19, 2018 11:04 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I spooled up a ton of 15lb fluoro on my Tatula HD, and if I ever held the line by hand (didn't mean to) it would make a click, was pressure on the pawl making it move roughly through the worm gear of the levelwind. It still has zero issues though and is a very smooth reel.

Are you saying that your Steez SV TW is only doing this click when the T-wing is furthest to one side??? As it tracks left and right is the click only happening at furthest left or furthest right? A problem this strange is hard to get an idea of what is going on...

I know its hard to discribe...
Ok looking at the worm gear you can see the track on it..the track makes the line level (t wing) move back and forth. When that pawl crosses over each cross point on the worm gear its as if its catching on that point so as the t wing moves from left to right its catching the cross points..
1 other thing, the manual shows that there is a washer/spacer in the pawl cap. Mine does not have one in it and did not come from the facory with it. I looked around and everything i have found shows that it did not come with one in there...even tho the schematics shows that there is one in there.. can anyone confirm that they have that waser in there?
Thank you for the help ](*,)

kimberdan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby kimberdan » Sat May 19, 2018 11:31 am

Im trying to post a pix..i have camera sent to the lowest mp and its still to big..ugh lol

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1432
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:07 pm

I don't personally own this reel, but I distinctly remember someone experiencing a levelwind issue (also a simple yet complicated one to solve) due to a spacer or washer. I am not sure if it was this reel or another model but I KNOW someone had a Daiwa with levelwind/line lay issues that was solved by a spacer or washer.

Not much you can do aside of send it in I guess.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby iabass8 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:25 am

I’ve got a few steez sv tw and steez a’s. None of them have this issue and none of them have a washer under the pawl cap.

kimberdan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby kimberdan » Sun May 20, 2018 1:38 pm

iabass8 wrote:I’ve got a few steez sv tw and steez a’s. None of them have this issue and none of them have a washer under the pawl cap.

Ok thank you for that info. I took that little washer from another reel and put it in the cap and i didnt change anything.
Im going to have to get on the phone with daiwa again tomorrow and get this one sent in..
Problem is diawa has NO sv tw reels in stock

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby spookybaits » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 am

kimberdan wrote:
iabass8 wrote:I’ve got a few steez sv tw and steez a’s. None of them have this issue and none of them have a washer under the pawl cap.

Ok thank you for that info. I took that little washer from another reel and put it in the cap and i didnt change anything.
Im going to have to get on the phone with daiwa again tomorrow and get this one sent in..
Problem is diawa has NO sv tw reels in stock


Contact pikeroadbassn or ebassfisher on here, they're both great reel techs and could maybe help ya out or help diagnose the issue.

kimberdan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby kimberdan » Thu May 24, 2018 7:57 am

spookybaits wrote:
kimberdan wrote:
iabass8 wrote:I’ve got a few steez sv tw and steez a’s. None of them have this issue and none of them have a washer under the pawl cap.

Ok thank you for that info. I took that little washer from another reel and put it in the cap and i didnt change anything.
Im going to have to get on the phone with daiwa again tomorrow and get this one sent in..
Problem is diawa has NO sv tw reels in stock


Contact pikeroadbassn or ebassfisher on here, they're both great reel techs and could maybe help ya out or help diagnose the issue.

Ok thanks... the 1 reel is still at diawa waiting for parts to replace and see if its the spool or pinion gear or both..the one i have here with my has been torn down and the only thing i have found is grooving in the area where the spools sits in..
Thank you

kimberdan
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

Re: Daiwa steez sv tw HELP

Postby kimberdan » Thu May 24, 2018 8:40 am

Just got off the phone with daiwa and they replaced the spool..said the spool side walls where bent...i will post an up date when i get it back and out on the water with an up date weather that fixed it...
I hope thats it so i can send in the other one i have here...


Return to “Maintenance & SuperTuning Q&A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests