Quieting Down Bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Quieting Down Bearings

Post by cadman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:13 pm

So I cleaned my buddies baitcaster and now he doesn't like the sound of the bearings. I cleaned both bearings at the ends of the worm gear, spool bearing, sideplate bearing, spool control knob bearing and main gear shaft bearing. Once clean I then added a drop of TSI 321 to each bearing. The reel works flawlessly and that's the way I clean my reels however he doesn't like to hear the sound of the bearings. What do you guys use to quiet them down? I was thinking of using Penn reel grease. If I grease the worm gear bearings, main gear shaft bearing and control knob bearing, will this quiet down the reel? Does anyone have any other suggestions, ideas or comments. Thank You in advance.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Quieting Down Bearings

Post by Slazmo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Inox MX6 grease is softer synthetic grease which works well - i use it than relying on cutting down thicker greases, also running in bearings on a dremel helps quieten them down too.

All depends on how noisy is noisy, it is a machine and it it mechanical in the end.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Frame bearings always get light grease and spool bearings always get a light oil like alchemy from hedgehog. Check out this link for a better explanation:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=78166
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:02 am

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies