Alphabrake - New Kind of Braking?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
diehardbassfishing
Angler
Angler

Re: Alphabrake - New Kind of Braking?

Post by diehardbassfishing » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:53 am

How about my Blue Abu Rocket for an Alphabrake!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Svivlo wrote:Thank you TommyG and diehardbassfishing.

I'll do my best to explain the technology without leaving too much details as its still under development. Even though the contruction is very simple the mechancs behind it is very complex. We've showed this to physics professors who scratched their heads and didn't really grasped how it worked :D

The brake is fully mechanical and in its simplest form consists of only one moving part (as our current prototype). It uses friction to brake the spool and is activated by deceleration and the brake force is controlled by the rate of change in deceleration. We also had to explain this to the patent attorneys at Swedish Patent Office and EPO in order to get our applications through.

Here's an excerpt from our communication with them:

"Before going into detail on an analysis of novelty and inventive step in view of the cited art, the rotational friction brake of the invention will be discussed more generally, and freely, with the aim to increase the basic understanding of the invention and how it differs from rotational friction brakes of the art. In fact, the rotational friction brake of the present invention operates, especially with regards to its actuation, in a completely different way than the rotational friction brakes of the prior art, as defined in the cited documents, and is therefore also a completely different kind of brake. The rotational friction brakes of the prior art cited by the Examiner are all centrifugal rotational friction brakes, i.e. the brake is actuated by the angular speed of the rotating body. In contrast, the rotational friction brake of the invention is actuated by the rate of change of the angular speed, i.e. the time derivative of the speed, and relies on utilizing the inertia to initiate motion of the braking arm. This will for example mean that embodiments of the rotational friction brake of the invention may be arranged so as to be actuated at very low speeds but at high acceleration, or at very high speeds where acceleration goes to a deceleration etc. Such a behavior is not possible for a centrifugal rotational friction brake, which will introduce an increasing braking power as function of increasing angular speed, which results in the actuation of the brake to occur at a specific rotational speed. Furthermore, the invention enables higher angular speeds as it only applies brake force when the rotating second body is changing is rotational speed and, additionally, provides an anti-locking functionality allowing it to function in any rotational speed. This is especially needed in fishing reels to allow longer casts without backlash and is achieved through the following unique characteristics of the invention here described in terms of a fishing cast:

1. Lure is accelerated at beginning of cast and fishing line is being pulled off and accelerates the spool
2. The invention is deactivated through mass inertia during acceleration
3. The lure is decelerated by wind resistance and gravitational forces
4. Plurality of line is being fed out due to spool inertia
5. Spool inner friction causes deceleration and activates the invention through mass inertia i.e. when the line stops pulling
6. Friction applied by the invention brakes the spool and thus allow the spool to pick up any line slack
7. When all line slack is picked up the lure, through the line, accelerates the spool again
8. The invention is deactivated due to acceleration and mass center inertia

The above sequence described in points 3-8 is repeated until the rotational speed equals zero. This is totally opposite to pure centrifugal brakes as they will continuously apply brake force until rotational speed = 0 as they are activated and regulated by centrifugal forces alone."

I hope the description above clarifies things and with the conceptual image of the Alphabrake below it should be even clearer. We'll also make an English website as soon as possible.

Very cool!

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Just came back form our first trade show and it´s midnight but I thought I'd answer a few questions.

You could see the brake arm act as a pendulum. The alphabrake sits on top of a spool on the image I posted.

/Patrik
Last edited by Svivlo on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Longer

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Looks cool.
So in your render, is the line going out to the left?
The arm pivots on the '9' looking piece?
So when the spool is accelerating and rotating counter-clockwise, it's in the disengaged/neutral position as shown.
And when the spool is deccelerating, the weights with the alpha logo 'lunge forward and causes the tail of the '9' to rub against a brake ring?

I wonder if there's scope to add adjustment/refinement (if needed at all)
Such as the inertia weights, or allowing the brake case to extend/retract to decrease/increase the contact area for the brakes.

=D> =D> =D>

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi y2k88,

You are spot on. The arms are not in disengaged position as in the image but very close. The arms are in disengaged position when resting against the spool axel.

There's no need to adjust the brakes as wee see it. You should use the already existing spool brake to adjust the agressivness of the Alphabrake as its regulated by spool deceleration. The more you tighten the spool brake the more the Alphabrake will brake - BUT ONLY WHEN THE BAIT ISN'T PULLING THE LINE. You can actually tighten it more than yu normally would and still get more distance but that is natural due to the unique characteristics of the Alphabrake.

The only cast brake that works the way you want :-)
Fish Longer

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:30 am

Interesting. Can you tell us a little more what cast weights and type (low or high wind resistance) you have tried successfully with the brakes?

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 am

This is still an early prototype but we've made som testing and it is very good at picking up changes in wind speed and using non-uniform baits.The brake is fully automatic and requires no adjustment besides using the spool brake. The sideplate can be closed all day fishing with less risk of dirt and moisture getting and restricting brake performance.

Regarding weight the reels will be more versatile and you can use larger range of baits. We've tried down to .35oz (10g) without any major issues. Hopefully we can come down even more in the final version but the reel will be optimized for pike fishing.

There's one additional major finding from using this reel. The smoother you cast the more distance you get. If we compare well known brands with great cast brake systems (compared to today´s standards), you can cast just as long but with a lot less effort. And you should not use your thumb to control overrun as a) the brake will take care of it for you and b) since the brake is activated and regulated by deceleration it will just brake even more.

The first model will not eliminate backlash but future models will have that capability. We have prototypes today where you don't have to use your thumb at all, not even when the bait hits the water. Combine that with lower wieghts and you can replace the spinning reel :-)
Fish Longer

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:26 am

^^^ Very Cool!! I hope you can get the english web page up. And then make the pre-order forms available!!
Thanks for all of your input Patrik. Sure would be nice to throw a 2oz. swimbait and not worry about the wind!!

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:57 am

TommyG wrote:^^^ Very Cool!! I hope you can get the english web page up. And then make the pre-order forms available!!
Thanks for all of your input Patrik. Sure would be nice to throw a 2oz. swimbait and not worry about the wind!!
Happy to be of assistance. The English website is now up and running https://svivlo.com (I kind of pushed it so please let me know if you find any mistakes)
Fish Longer

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:15 am

Svivlo wrote:
TommyG wrote:^^^ Very Cool!! I hope you can get the english web page up. And then make the pre-order forms available!!
Happy to be of assistance. The English website is now up and running https://svivlo.com (I kind of pushed it so please let me know if you find any mistakes)
Here's the only nit I found to pick:

"cast brake that work"

It should either be "cast brakes that work" or "cast brake that works".

Otherwise, you dah man! :lol:
Seriously, great idea. I wish you every success!

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:11 am

mark poulson wrote:
Svivlo wrote:

"cast brake that work"

Cheers :-) It's changed

Another thing that you or somebody else hera could help us with: We are going to try and head over to the states and have a few occasions where you can test our prototypes. This would be in the summer timeframe. Do you know of any good outdoor events where anglers meet up?
Fish Longer

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Svivlo wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Svivlo wrote:

"cast brake that work"

Another thing that you or somebody else hera could help us with: We are going to try and head over to the states and have a few occasions where you can test our prototypes. This would be in the summer timeframe. Do you know of any good outdoor events where anglers meet up?
I live in northern California, so there are really no big events near me.
ICAST is the biggest event out west here, if they hold it in Las Vegas, but it's not here all the time.
I would google ICAST, and see where and when they are going to hold the next one.
I think there are many more outdoor events on the east coast, and down south, because there are a lot more fishermen.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm

I believe ICast & Fred Hall are the 2 biggest shows (though Fred hall event was last weekend). ICast is definitely one you'd want to go to.

You mentioned these cast down to around 10grams, but they're more focused on Pike- what would you say the upper weight limit on baits might be?

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 pm

spookybaits wrote:I believe ICast & Fred Hall are the 2 biggest shows (though Fred hall event was last weekend). ICast is definitely one you'd want to go to.

You mentioned these cast down to around 10grams, but they're more focused on Pike- what would you say the upper weight limit on baits might be?
Thanks,

We've looked at ICast but that is a trade show if I'm not wrong and not for the the public? Maybe this is the show to be at anyway?

As we're still optimizing the prototype we've not yet set an upper limit but tried with baits up to 180g without any issues. The cool thing with the Alphabrake is that if you cast with higher speed or with heavier baits, just tighten the spool tension brake. As the Alphabrake only applies brake force during parts of the cast it does not affect distance as traditional brakes will do.
Fish Longer

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Svivlo wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Svivlo wrote:

"cast brake that work"

I live in northern California, so there are really no big events near me.
ICAST is the biggest event out west here, if they hold it in Las Vegas, but it's not here all the time.
I would google ICAST, and see where and when they are going to hold the next one.
I think there are many more outdoor events on the east coast, and down south, because there are a lot more fishermen.
Thanks Mark. We're going to take a look at ICast.
Fish Longer