Alphabrake - New Kind of Braking?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Re: Alphabrake - New Kind of Braking?

Post by Svivlo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:33 am

Hi everyone,

We're very happy to announce our presence at ICast. If you have the possibility we'd love to chat with you in our booth 1041. In order to let more people try our new reel, we intend to stay a few additional days in Florida after the event.

See you there - tight lines!
Fish Longer

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:31 am

spookybaits wrote:I believe ICast & Fred Hall are the 2 biggest shows (though Fred hall event was last weekend). ICast is definitely one you'd want to go to.

You mentioned these cast down to around 10grams, but they're more focused on Pike- what would you say the upper weight limit on baits might be?
not sure it would be considered an improvement if it was retrofitted in a tatula and can only go down to 10 grams.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 01, 2018 7:31 am

Interesting. It sounds like it operates as a centrifugal brake in reverse. I rather like the ability of a centrifugal brake to curb spool RPM durring spool acceleration. With the alpha brake it sounds like spool tension is needed to keep the spool in check when accelerating.

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:46 am

Hi LowRange

As long as the lure is pulling the line no brake is needed. It isn't until the lure stops pulling as you need a brake. This is exactly how the Alphbrake works; it is a deceleration brake.

We went to ICAST with our prototypes that still was a bit rough on the edges and had anglers try it "on the water" on Tuesday. Even TackleTour tried it. This was also the first time people actually could look at the technology.

/Patrik
Fish Longer

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:01 am

Hey Guys,

Just caught this thread or I would have responded much earlier. Sorry for the delay. Been buried taking care of my portion of the ICAST writeup both on the main site and on Instagram. If you follow Zander on IG, I think he posted a photo or two from our introduction to the Alpha Brake. I do not believe we posted one on the TackleTour IG. It's all a blur.

Anyway, yes, we had the pleasure of meeting Patrik and checking out the prototype, learning about the technology. Understanding this was a rough prototype, a couple of things:

- Though they had on hand, a model of the brake allowing you to kind of see how it worked, I was frustrated at not being able to see how it was actually integrated into the reel. I know the brake arm, obviously goes on the spool, but I was unclear as to whether the inductor/housing around which the brake acted was on the spool or the sideplate and how thick that piece was.
pict_icast18_svivlo-004.jpg
pict_icast18_svivlo-004.jpg (129.32 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
- Both Zander and I cast the reel but because it was a rough prototype, all we could really do was make an easy swing with the combo and kind of lob the bait out onto the water. It worked, but there's a lot of noise and knocking during the cast.
pict_icast18_svivlo-001.jpg
pict_icast18_svivlo-001.jpg (163.64 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
pict_icast18_svivlo-003.jpg
pict_icast18_svivlo-003.jpg (134.4 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
- The reel itself was in the New Product Showcase listed with an MSRP of $400 which made matters a little confusing because Patrik told us they were at the show to try and partner up with a major manufacturer and implement the braking system on one of their reels, not market and manufacture their own. Understanding there is now real category at ICAST for emerging technologies, this was probably their way to show case the tech and generate interest ... trouble is, you couldn't open the reel to check out the Alpha Brakes, so all we got to see was a new, prototype stage reel set up against the likes of Curado DC, Tatula 100, Abu Garcia Rocket.... in other words, it was very easy to overlook the reel and the underlying technology in this setting.
pict_icast18_svivlo-007.jpg
pict_icast18_svivlo-007.jpg (116.7 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
- Back on the water, once you completed your cast and began your retrieve, the brake still moves around and actually knocks against the housing with each rotation of the handle.
pict_icast18_svivlo-002.jpg
pict_icast18_svivlo-002.jpg (128.76 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
pict_icast18_svivlo-005.jpg
pict_icast18_svivlo-005.jpg (136.39 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
So... the way I see it, this reel was a sort of proof of concept opportunity for Svivlo. It was not consumer or even media ready. There are several levels of refinement that must take place before it's ready for prime time so they're kind of caught in a chicken and egg scenario. How do you garner attention from a manufacturer as a partner, without a working prototype, but how do you get a really good, working prototype without partnering with a major manufacturer?

As a member of the media, and a writer that approaches every new piece of tackle with a critical eye, I can appreciate the effort that went into the design and development of this prototype, but it just wasn't ready to be put into our hands. In fact, one manufacturer, who shall remain anonymous, brought the subject up with us and asked us our opinion. We shared pretty much what I just laid out above.

Hopefully there are refinements in store, but if i want a reel that I can easily cast without using my thumb, for now, I'm going to stick with a Curado DC set at #4.
pict_icast18_svivlo-006.jpg
pict_icast18_svivlo-006.jpg (141.75 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:56 pm

We're back!

After some challenging times where the inventor of the cast brake fell using his rollator, we paused development of Svivlo Genesis ONE and developed and started selling https://rolloguard.com based on the same Alphabrake. Since then the inventor and also my father sadly passed away in 2021.

But now we have decided to relaunch Svivlo Genesis ONE. Alphabrake is renamed to CastGuard™ and we will launch the reel on Kickstarter in March. Take a look at https://svivlo.com for more information.

We are now better equipped to successfully develop and manufacture the technology following what we have done with RolloGuard. The problem is still very hard to solve and we are using very advanced methods to develop a solution reacting quick enough in very high rotational speed and also enough at low speed.

Stay tuned for more information.
Fish Longer

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:43 am

Make a big a aluminum reel for throwing expensive glide baits with braid. Those like to catch the wind and slow producing line fluff.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:53 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:43 am
Make a big a aluminum reel for throwing expensive glide baits with braid. Those like to catch the wind and slow producing line fluff.
Based on the info on Kickstart, the reel is 300 grams. At that weight, I hope it would be able to throw a big glide.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:45 am

Svivlo wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:56 pm
We're back!

After some challenging times where the inventor of the cast brake fell using his rollator, we paused development of Svivlo Genesis ONE and developed and started selling https://rolloguard.com based on the same Alphabrake. Since then the inventor and also my father sadly passed away in 2021.

But now we have decided to relaunch Svivlo Genesis ONE. Alphabrake is renamed to CastGuard™ and we will launch the reel on Kickstarter in March. Take a look at https://svivlo.com for more information.

We are now better equipped to successfully develop and manufacture the technology following what we have done with RolloGuard. The problem is still very hard to solve and we are using very advanced methods to develop a solution reacting quick enough in very high rotational speed and also enough at low speed.

Welcome back.
Sorry to hear you lost your father. Condolences to you and your family.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:07 pm

Svivlo wrote:
We're back!

Good to see your re-emergence, and my most sincere and heartfelt condolences to you and your family...looking forward to seeing and learning more about your invention!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:35 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:07 pm
Svivlo wrote:
We're back!

Good to see your re-emergence, and my most sincere and heartfelt condolences to you and your family...looking forward to seeing and learning more about your invention!
Thank you for your kind words
Fish Longer

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:35 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:45 am
Svivlo wrote:
We're back!

Welcome back.
Sorry to hear you lost your father. Condolences to you and your family.
Fish Longer

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:03 pm

Svivlo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:35 am
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:07 pm
Svivlo wrote:
We're back!

Absolutely...you are very welcome.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:47 pm

We are really excited to announce that the reel now is available on Kickstarter.

Click here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sv ... e-no-other to find out how to pledge for an award and get your hands on the revolutionary new baitcaster.

You are probably going to be a bit skeptical, but the reviews so far are absolutely raving.
Fish Longer

Svivlo
Angler
Angler

Post by Svivlo » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:30 am

We exhibited at the biggest Swedish sportfishing fair this weekend and made a video of the trials. Sorry for not being able to translate all of the words, but the facial expressions should be enough.

https://youtu.be/B6MBoZn9zhk
Fish Longer