Packing bearings with grease?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
User avatar
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:59 am
Location: Northeast

Packing bearings with grease?

Postby Big-Bass » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 pm

Just heard from someone who said that he packs the frame, main shaft, idler, and worm gear bearings with grease using a special tool (not the spool bearings or handle bearings) on his reels and while it doesn't make the handle spin as freely without line, it does contribute to the overall smoothness of the reel under load or with simple water resistance. Is this a real thing because I always thought to oil the bearings and grease the gears. Any help is great appreciated Thanks and please let me know. Best wishes on the water!

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Donkin, Nova Scotia

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby adam lancia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 am

The only bearings that get oil are the spool and knob bearings for me. I don't pack my frame bearings, but they do get a good coating of grease before putting the shields back on. My gears and other frame friction points get a different grease than the bearings. I use a white synthetic grease for the gears and friction points, and Wood's green bearing grease for the bearings. That stuff is made for bikes.

toddmc
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1426
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby toddmc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:54 am

Don't overdue it, but yes the right grease will cause it to feel smoother. I use a soft grease like the Sportlife Planets 104 (used in the SLP Works factory). As was said, the handle won't spin as long as with oil. I was discussing this with Ian Shields a few months ago, and he even mixes his own grease to get the right consistency for his tuning. He's thinks that too many tuners use oil in too many places. I had been guilty of this also because of the freer feeling that you get with oil.
I am now happy with the feel of a soft grease, but I can't stand a sticky grease, like Reel Butter, in any part of my reel. I really like the way that a soft grease feels on my clutch parts. I service my reels very often. So, I don't think that the durability of a soft grease will be a long-term issue.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:39 am
Location: Cherry Hill, VA

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby brownhl » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:04 pm

I no longer pack my pinion bearings with grease and dip them in TSI301. Works great. I use ReelX on my drive shaft and handle bearings and Yellow Rocket fuel on my SS spool bearings. I am considering changing my drive shaft bearing to dipped in TSI301 since the pinions have done so well with it for the last two years.

User avatar
Slazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby Slazmo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm

Lighter reels like 1003 /1000 spin reels get a 1/4 each side of light Inox MX6 grease and oil mixed in for longevity.

Baitcaster reels get the same / similar treatment on frame / running bearings - however the PITA handle shaft bearing gets a full load of grease and Inox MX4 Lanox to keep it from corroding out.

Heavier duty applications will get more grease - not too many people worried about free spinning time of a BC handle over here (only the spool) - mind you sometimes greasing spool bearings has its place...

The grease emulsifies with the oil creating a slick mess inside the bearin, thus fully lubricating the ball, cage and races well and seems to be less able to leech out and run the bearing dry.

Ive got a mini bearing packer but its far from perfect and its use - i know the Alan Tani's site seems to religiously state to pack all bearings full to the brim, but lets be honest - totally different reel, different user and different application style.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 749
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 am

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby ScoobyDoo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:26 pm

toddmc wrote:Don't overdue it, but yes the right grease will cause it to feel smoother. I use a soft grease like the Sportlife Planets 104 (used in the SLP Works factory). As was said, the handle won't spin as long as with oil. I was discussing this with Ian Shields a few months ago, and he even mixes his own grease to get the right consistency for his tuning. He's thinks that too many tuners use oil in too many places. I had been guilty of this also because of the freer feeling that you get with oil.
I am now happy with the feel of a soft grease, but I can't stand a sticky grease, like Reel Butter, in any part of my reel. I really like the way that a soft grease feels on my clutch parts. I service my reels very often. So, I don't think that the durability of a soft grease will be a long-term issue.


I'll tell ya what....In a few short months using aquashield grease.....I've been blown away..I think I finaly made up my mind that it's my new favorite....I can cut it with oil....and it forms like a gel....it's weird.....but it ends up even in light amounts...creating a constant bath.

I had a tatula lt and tatula sterling apart today....And all the new lt's are a bit raspy until run in....
My tat has quieted sligtly after some use. After re lubing with daiwa grease..I said scrwe it...cleanted it and put the custom mix in...(iwas gonna run it stock...but couldn't resist)
It's now liquid smooth and near silent....andthat stuff is so sticky you can literally blow bubbles...it's a nightmare to deal with...as if you dip a q tip in...it will stretch 3 feet....like mozzarella.

But cutting and mixing it has proven amazing...(avet reels started using it too)
I used it all winter on an aldebaran bfs xg on the gear set...and it's magic on worms...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby mark poulson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:16 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
toddmc wrote:Don't overdue it, but yes the right grease will cause it to feel smoother. I use a soft grease like the Sportlife Planets 104 (used in the SLP Works factory). As was said, the handle won't spin as long as with oil. I was discussing this with Ian Shields a few months ago, and he even mixes his own grease to get the right consistency for his tuning. He's thinks that too many tuners use oil in too many places. I had been guilty of this also because of the freer feeling that you get with oil.
I am now happy with the feel of a soft grease, but I can't stand a sticky grease, like Reel Butter, in any part of my reel. I really like the way that a soft grease feels on my clutch parts. I service my reels very often. So, I don't think that the durability of a soft grease will be a long-term issue.


I'll tell ya what....In a few short months using aquashield grease.....I've been blown away..I think I finaly made up my mind that it's my new favorite....I can cut it with oil....and it forms like a gel....it's weird.....but it ends up even in light amounts...creating a constant bath.

I had a tatula lt and tatula sterling apart today....And all the new lt's are a bit raspy until run in....
My tat has quieted sligtly after some use. After re lubing with daiwa grease..I said scrwe it...cleanted it and put the custom mix in...(iwas gonna run it stock...but couldn't resist)
It's now liquid smooth and near silent....andthat stuff is so sticky you can literally blow bubbles...it's a nightmare to deal with...as if you dip a q tip in...it will stretch 3 feet....like mozzarella.

But cutting and mixing it has proven amazing...(avet reels started using it too)
I used it all winter on an aldebaran bfs xg on the gear set...and it's magic on worms...


Where do you get that grease, and what is your grease/oil formula?
I am trying to find a grease combo that will save my baitcasters' aluminum main gears.

And, while you're at it, what are this weeks winning lottery numbers? :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Cristo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 808
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am
Location: The Dusty Basin

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby Cristo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Clicked on thread hoping to get tips on my packing my hub bearings for the truck., thread did not deliver :lol:
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo

User avatar
Slazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby Slazmo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:19 pm

For those shielded bearings that need greasing...

Have one of these myself. Just thin the grease to the desired thickness and pack till old grease comes out.

https://goo.gl/images/4nXD41

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 749
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 am

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby ScoobyDoo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:51 pm

mark poulson wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
toddmc wrote:Don't overdue it, but yes the right grease will cause it to feel smoother. I use a soft grease like the Sportlife Planets 104 (used in the SLP Works factory). As was said, the handle won't spin as long as with oil. I was discussing this with Ian Shields a few months ago, and he even mixes his own grease to get the right consistency for his tuning. He's thinks that too many tuners use oil in too many places. I had been guilty of this also because of the freer feeling that you get with oil.
I am now happy with the feel of a soft grease, but I can't stand a sticky grease, like Reel Butter, in any part of my reel. I really like the way that a soft grease feels on my clutch parts. I service my reels very often. So, I don't think that the durability of a soft grease will be a long-term issue.


I'll tell ya what....In a few short months using aquashield grease.....I've been blown away..I think I finaly made up my mind that it's my new favorite....I can cut it with oil....and it forms like a gel....it's weird.....but it ends up even in light amounts...creating a constant bath.

I had a tatula lt and tatula sterling apart today....And all the new lt's are a bit raspy until run in....
My tat has quieted sligtly after some use. After re lubing with daiwa grease..I said scrwe it...cleanted it and put the custom mix in...(iwas gonna run it stock...but couldn't resist)
It's now liquid smooth and near silent....andthat stuff is so sticky you can literally blow bubbles...it's a nightmare to deal with...as if you dip a q tip in...it will stretch 3 feet....like mozzarella.

But cutting and mixing it has proven amazing...(avet reels started using it too)
I used it all winter on an aldebaran bfs xg on the gear set...and it's magic on worms...


Where do you get that grease, and what is your grease/oil formula?
I am trying to find a grease combo that will save my baitcasters' aluminum main gears.

And, while you're at it, what are this weeks winning lottery numbers? :lol: :lol: :lol:


8,0,0,8,1,3,5 LOL

Marin sanitation supply..i think it was marinesan.com or somthin

I mix it to whatever consistency I want. Bearings I cut it alot. Gears on light spinners I'll cut it more than on heavy saltwater spinners. Bigger lever drags I'll use it straight.
I use corrosion x oil and tungsten disulfide....And keep mixing until I get the desired reuslt. It's very cool stuff. And holy crap is it a pain..take some getting used to working with..it stretches so much it'll leave

It's a an aqua/ teal color but mixed with tungsten disulfide it turns silverish

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Packing bearings with grease?

Postby mark poulson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Thank you.
Would it stick to a baitcaster's main and pinion gears?


Return to “Maintenance & SuperTuning Q&A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests