Daiwa gear replacement

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa gear replacement

Post by Obz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:40 am

I have a tdz 103 and 105 the gears are starting to get rough. Anyone have an idea of what daiwa charges to replace them?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Daiwa gear replacement

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:58 am

For 2 reels, somewhere around $100. Daiwa is ridiculous with shipping charges. Thats why I recommend The Tackle Trap if you dont service your own reels. They do awesome work at competitive prices and only charge you actual shipping costs.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:44 am

Ian Shields or Bryan at Tackle Trap can do that for you. You can also do it yourself, it's pretty straight forward. Either of those tuners can sell you the needed parts.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 pm

The TDZ gears will be harder to get now that Daiwa isn't making them anymore. The Tackle Trap is having Daiwa make a batch of 6.3 Steez gears that will fit the TDZ, but they have an alloy pinion. The TT does have the 5.7 all brass gears. Does anyone have, or know a source to get the all brass right-handed 6.3 gears? I need a set before they before they are all gone?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:14 pm

toddmc wrote:The TDZ gears will be harder to get now that Daiwa isn't making them anymore. The Tackle Trap is having Daiwa make a batch of 6.3 Steez gears that will fit the TDZ, but they have an alloy pinion. The TT does have the 5.7 all brass gears. Does anyone have, or know a source to get the all brass right-handed 6.3 gears? I need a set before they before they are all gone?
Lefties or righties?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:34 pm

adam lancia wrote:
toddmc wrote:The TDZ gears will be harder to get now that Daiwa isn't making them anymore. The Tackle Trap is having Daiwa make a batch of 6.3 Steez gears that will fit the TDZ, but they have an alloy pinion. The TT does have the 5.7 all brass gears. Does anyone have, or know a source to get the all brass right-handed 6.3 gears? I need a set before they before they are all gone?
Lefties or righties?
Righties

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:48 am

toddmc wrote:Righties
Boooooooooo

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm

The og fuego gears drop right in a TDZ. Did daiwa discontinue them, as well?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Btw, if u put Steez gears in, the levelwind idler gear will be needed, as well. The Steez gears dont have the holes that hold the idler gear in timing with the main gear like the TDZ and Fuego gears have.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:37 pm

Are leftys still hard to find?

maibinenu
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by maibinenu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:03 am

Fuego and old steez and tdz gears match each other
what you cand also do is to buy tdz big bite baits gears . I bought them from PLAT
drive gear is brass while pinion is some alloy

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:27 am

The alloy pinions are not very durable. That is why I am looking for another gear set. I don't care for any aluminum/alloy gears.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:52 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:The og fuego gears drop right in a TDZ. Did daiwa discontinue them, as well?
I didn't check on those because I don't want the same alloy pinion.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:57 am

Just FYI, it's actually a bronze phosphor alloy pinion gear, not aluminum. It's pretty durable, but still softer than the brass main gear. You cant have a pinion gear harder than the main gear, because it will make the reel feel rough rather quickly, as it wears down the teeth of the main gear first.

maibinenu
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by maibinenu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:48 pm

inmho the things are a little messed up

The drive gear or the main gear is the bigger one and the pinion gear is the smaller
Since at a complete rotation of the drive gear the pinion gear rotates much more , the last one is prone to higher wear.
Therefore the pinion gear is always at least made of the same material as the drive gear if not tougher.
And this because as above already mentioned above , if the pinion will be softer than the drive gear the reel will become very soon noisy and rough.

For example the Steez 103 hl has an aluminium drive gear and brass pinion
td ito has both drive and pinion on brass

but never the drvie brass and pinion aluminium or softer

now, the TDZ BBS was specially built to handle big baits (bbs = big bait special) therefore the gears are the toughest in the tdz family
drive brass and pinion more like a steel one...i said alloy because i dont know exactly the composition
the same combination i saw on zillion PE special...another reel made for tough conditions