Bones Speed Cream oil

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bones Speed Cream oil

Post by Slazmo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:06 am

Hi all.

Have a question for those that may have used Bones Speed Cream - just dug out an old bottle from over a decade ago and dropped a drop in to some Curado e spool bearings I flushed out today...
Bonse Speed Cream - 20180224 (1).jpg
Bonse Speed Cream - 20180224 (1).jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
And jesus didn't they come up a treat! I usually use Inox MX5 oil and another additive and allow the excess to blow out during use and the left remaining I monitor and reapply as necessary.

Anyone else use the above mentioned Bones oil in spool bearings? Any longevity or lifespan of the oil findings?

TIA

Andrew

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Bones Speed Cream oil

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:07 am

I also roller skate, in addition to fishing. Speed cream gels when not in use, then liquifies with use. It was designed to stay put during extended, constant bearing rotation, with a weighted load on those bearings. Your spool bearings have very little weighted load and never see lateral pressure, as a rollerskate bearing does. I honestly think it would slow down your spool if you're looking for distance. However, if you are looking for a lube that will not migrate and will likely last an entire season, then the speed cream is great.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bones Speed Cream oil

Post by Slazmo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for the response. I also had a response from Bones - seems to align equally with your and their comments. We dont need to cast a long way for our applications - more the fact that oil needs to stay put - especially with open bearings.

Just a few practice casts in the yard it seems to allow a fair amount of free rotation to the spool with the 20lb line and only a 5 gram casting plug.