spool bearing pin removal tool

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

spool bearing pin removal tool

Post by mark poulson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:10 pm

My friend asked me to change the bearings for some Gen 1 Abu Revo Premiers, but he says they have a pin holding the bearing on.
Is there a tool for removing and replacing those pins?

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: spool bearing pin removal tool

Post by Loafer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm

For example: http://ali.pub/29i64i

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 am

The Daiwa tool gets my vote.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:59 am

Not sure about the Gen 1 Premier, but I know for fact that the Gen 1 STX's spool pin is tapered ... you'll be in a world of poop if you're not careful about the direction of removal/insertion ... look closely, use a magnifier if needed.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 pm

A drop of oil where the pin intersects the main spool shaft (on each side) also helps the pin traverse it when being pushed out - nothing worse than sticky stainless on stainless galling.

A drop of oil certainly helps the reinstallation of the pin too and take load off the threads of the tool.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:32 pm

I use the SLP Works one. I like it a lot better than the Hedgehog version.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Loafer wrote:For example: http://ali.pub/29i64i
Thank you. That looks like just what I need.
Is 60 days really their delivery time?

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:04 pm

Mark,
I love my Revos. I also have (3) Gen 1 premiers. The pins are easy to take out. I use the tool from Tackle Trap. $26.99 by Hedge Hog studios. The sool pin is .307 long, the hole in the spool shaft is.0585. The shaft of the spool is .1878 diameter. The pin that goes into the spool is not tapered on any of my reels. The hole in the spool shaft is not tapered either. The spool pin has a turned down end that is.047 in diameter. This end goes in first in either side of the spool shaft first.

If you want more tech info here it is. The pin is made like this. One end is .047 dia and is .091 long, then the pin gets bigger(.058 diameter) and this part is .125 long, finally the other end is .060 diameter and that is .091 long as well.

All three of my reels are like this. I don't know if yours is as well. BTW really great reels.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:40 pm

cadman wrote:Mark,
I love my Revos. I also have (3) Gen 1 premiers. The pins are easy to take out. I use the tool from Tackle Trap. $26.99 by Hedge Hog studios. The sool pin is .307 long, the hole in the spool shaft is.0585. The shaft of the spool is .1878 diameter. The pin that goes into the spool is not tapered on any of my reels. The hole in the spool shaft is not tapered either. The spool pin has a turned down end that is.047 in diameter. This end goes in first in either side of the spool shaft first.

If you want more tech info here it is. The pin is made like this. One end is .047 dia and is .091 long, then the pin gets bigger(.058 diameter) and this part is .125 long, finally the other end is .060 diameter and that is .091 long as well.

All three of my reels are like this. I don't know if yours is as well. BTW really great reels.
Thanks Ted.
They are great, bullet proof reels. The only modification I've done to my two is to put handles with bearings on them, from other reels.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:54 am

mark poulson wrote:Thank you. That looks like just what I need.
Hello, Friend!
Usually, delivery time from aliexpress is 20-28 days.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:20 am

mark poulson wrote:
Loafer wrote:For example: http://ali.pub/29i64i
Thank you. That looks like just what I need.
Why wait. This would be to you in a few days.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=6465
<")))><{

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 am

I’ve been using the older hedgehog tool for a while. It works fine for me.

A little off topic, but is there a direction that the spool pin should be removed/installed? In other words, is there a slight taper to the pin or pinhole?

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Tony9 wrote:I use the SLP Works one. I like it a lot better than the Hedgehog version.

I couldn't agree more! I've tried several different ones. Hated the Boca pliers. The Hedgehog Studio/Ray's Studio style is fine, but for me the SLP seems the easiest to use and the most durable.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:23 pm

vncnt wrote:I’ve been using the older hedgehog tool for a while. It works fine for me.

A little off topic, but is there a direction that the spool pin should be removed/installed? In other words, is there a slight taper to the pin or pinhole?
I'm a little confused by your question. If you have been using your hedgehog tool for awhile and it works fine, I'm assuming you are taking out the pin and installing it correctly. So where is the confusion?
But to answer your question not all manufacturers are alike. Some spools have tapered holes with tapered pins, and some spools don't. The best way to find out is look at the spool shaft before you attempt to take the pin out. Then I would take a pair of calipers and measure one end of the pin and then measure the other end of the pin on the spool. The smallest diameter of the pin is the side you push against to take it out. Then look at the pin to see if it is tapered or not. Install in reverse order.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 am

cadman wrote:
vncnt wrote:I’ve been using the older hedgehog tool for a while. It works fine for me.

I'm a little confused by your question. If you have been using your hedgehog tool for awhile and it works fine, I'm assuming you are taking out the pin and installing it correctly. So where is the confusion?
But to answer your question not all manufacturers are alike. Some spools have tapered holes with tapered pins, and some spools don't. The best way to find out is look at the spool shaft before you attempt to take the pin out. Then I would take a pair of calipers and measure one end of the pin and then measure the other end of the pin on the spool. The smallest diameter of the pin is the side you push against to take it out. Then look at the pin to see if it is tapered or not. Install in reverse order.
Once you find the fatter end, mark it and that side of the shaft with a sharpie, so you'll be sure and put the right end into the right side of the shaft when you reassemble.