Removing handle knob screws

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Removing handle knob screws

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Does anyone here have a magic way to remove handle knob screws?
I have several Quantum baitcasters with bearings in the handles.
I wanted to oil the bearings, but I couldn't budge the screws. I didn't try too hard, because I didn't know if they were right or left handed screws, and didn't want to ruin them.
I contacted Quantum, and was assured they were right handed threads.
So today I clamped down the handle, clamped the knob in a wood clamp to keep it from turning, and had at it with a big handled screw driver, for leverage.
I was able to get the screw to turn, slowly, two full turns, but it never loosened. I think I may have just stripped the threads in place, because the screw is still down at the same level as when I started.
I was able to get a couple of drops of oil past the screw, and at the handle side, and the knobs now spin much more freely, but I'm worried.
Help! :?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Removing handle knob screws

Post by Slazmo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:46 pm

What your possibly doing now if thr screw isnt backing out is turning he actual knob shaft - the pressing has come loose at the bottom where it connects with the handle itself.

Needs a good centre punch.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Man, that sounds like a big time hassle, and I may wind up screwing up the handle anyway.
I think I'll stick to just oiling it past the screw when it needs it, and hope I haven't ruined it already.
Thank you, though, for your suggestion. I'll check any other knob stems before I try to remove another of those screws.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 pm

While screwing check the bottom of the shaft - put a dot of marker pen on it and keep an eye on it to see if it moves in a circle.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Slazmo wrote:While screwing check the bottom of the shaft - put a dot of marker pen on it and keep an eye on it to see if it moves in a circle.
That's a great idea! Thanks.
I would have been struggling to watch the bottom as I turned the screw!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:32 pm

The alloy shafts seem to loosen up and spin in the handles more than stainless steel - only require a knock to the knob itself and it degorms and then your at the stage your at "frustration".

Ive had to punch quiet a few inc a Biomaster 10K which had loosened and needed the knob off - its a bit of a mess around but DAMN cheaper than buying a new handle assembly!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Slazmo wrote:The alloy shafts seem to loosen up and spin in the handles more than stainless steel - only require a knock to the knob itself and it degorms and then your at the stage your at "frustration".

Ive had to punch quiet a few inc a Biomaster 10K which had loosened and needed the knob off - its a bit of a mess around but DAMN cheaper than buying a new handle assembly!
I agree. I'll give it a try. The worst case scenario is I'll have to buy another one for $24 plus shipping.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Could be some aggressive LocTite on the threads ... Daiwa uses LocTite on some of their handle knob screws, but it's the blue which is generally a medium strength ... I wonder if Quantum used green or god forbid red :shock:

A pencil tip soldering iron carefully placed atop the screw head without touching the inner surface of the knob itself and allowed to heat the screw may be what it needs to break the bond. It would take while for the heat to penetrate that far down, you'd have to devise a way to hold the iron in place perfectly still.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:11 pm

uljersey wrote:Could be some aggressive LocTite on the threads ... Daiwa uses LocTite on some of their handle knob screws, but it's the blue which is generally a medium strength ... I wonder if Quantum used green or god forbid red :shock:
Daiwa use LT Red on their LRB screws - one of the dumbest ideas ever...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:33 pm

uljersey wrote:Could be some aggressive LocTite on the threads ... Daiwa uses LocTite on some of their handle knob screws, but it's the blue which is generally a medium strength ... I wonder if Quantum used green or god forbid red :shock:

A pencil tip soldering iron carefully placed atop the screw head without touching the inner surface of the knob itself and allowed to heat the screw may be what it needs to break the bond. It would take while for the heat to penetrate that far down, you'd have to devise a way to hold the iron in place perfectly still.
I'll try that.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Daiwa use LT Red on their LRB screws - one of the dumbest ideas ever...
Amen!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:06 pm

You can do it put your back into it!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:You can do it put your back into it!
Hahaha

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:00 am

Quantum post screws are opposite-handed. Clock-wise loosens them.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Quantum post screws are opposite-handed. Clock-wise loosens them.
Thank you!