Broken sv spool

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Broken sv spool

Post by Dustys60 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:07 pm

I have a sv spool from a steez sv that has busted the little points off the white plastic piece under the inducter that keep it from moving. This reel never preformed as well as my other sv reels since I got it, so I dug into it tonight and found it. If I can get a new one is it a total pain to get that little clip off to get to it? Thanks in advance.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Broken sv spool

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Take clip off easy. Putting on :crying: ](*,) [-o<

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Yea, I used to have to mess with those little clips at work and they will make you insane. I never found a tool that made it easier, but I never looked very hard I guess.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Do they sell the little white piece? I seen the trap has stock spool for $70. May just order a new one if I can't get the part. Is there a big difference in g1 and normal sv spool. They are same price just didn't know if one was better than other.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 pm

This one I used on SV105 spool dont know if it will work on yours.
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=12155

In actuality it might take your first time 10-15 minutes messing around getting that clip back on. I roll a tissue paper about 1/8" round and use it to push/hold the washer/spring down in place inside of the inductor around the shaft. Then able to push clip on with flathead screwdriver. How I do this myself its like a 5 minute task.
The lighter spring of the SV105 easier than the Zillion HLC stiffer spring.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:40 am

Dustys60 wrote:Do they sell the little white piece? I seen the trap has stock spool for $70. May just order a new one if I can't get the part. Is there a big difference in g1 and normal sv spool. They are same price just didn't know if one was better than other.
If you contact Tackle Trap, I'm willing to bet they can get you that part. A spare spool isn't the worst thing, but replacing that part is the way to go if you're on a budget.

I put the spool in a big clear bag and use a pair of really small needle nose pliers to push the clip off. I also leave it in the bag to put the clip back on. I hold the spring down with those same needle nose pliers and I use a pair of toothed tweezers to slip the clip partway into the grove. Once it's in there, I gently release the spring which holds it in place until I use the needle nose pliers to snap it the rest of the way into place.

I'm gonna have to try that tissue paper method, that will really protect the shaft from getting nicked.
Last edited by adam lancia on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALBASS
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ALBASS » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm

I guess we are not to post links, but the ramps and the inductor are available as a kit on ebay dor around 13usd plus shipping. My question is can they be added to a non sv spool to reap the stress less benefits?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:34 pm

ALBASS wrote:I guess we are not to post links, but the ramps and the inductor are available as a kit on ebay dor around 13usd plus shipping. My question is can they be added to a non sv spool to reap the stress less benefits?
I have looked closely at my non-SV spools. It doesn't appear that this can be done. I recently replaced a defective SV rotor on an SS SV spool with the Ray's repair kit and it worked very well. The spool actually casts much better now than before it broke, because the kit's rotor is tapered like the old-school R+ spool inductors.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:14 am

ALBASS wrote:I guess we are not to post links, but the ramps and the inductor are available as a kit on ebay dor around 13usd plus shipping. My question is can they be added to a non sv spool to reap the stress less benefits?
No, you can not convert a non SV spool to SV.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:15 am

Dustys60 wrote:Do they sell the little white piece? I seen the trap has stock spool for $70. May just order a new one if I can't get the part. Is there a big difference in g1 and normal sv spool. They are same price just didn't know if one was better than other.
This is the updated base. This will work on any of the SV spools.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:40 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
This is the updated base. This will work on any of the SV spools.

Thanks

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:36 am

Just use a dab of grease as an adhesive to push the clip back on the shaft.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

ALBASS
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ALBASS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
I thought no too, at least w/o drilling a couple of holes, but the title of listing says "conversion" which made me wonder. The funny thing is even though the Ray's Studio logo is there, its no where to be found at West Door. Anyway thanks for clearing that up for me.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:19 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Take clip off easy. Putting on :crying: ](*,) [-o<
This x 34503e7

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:41 pm

ALBASS wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote:
I thought no too, at least w/o drilling a couple of holes, but the title of listing says "conversion" which made me wonder. The funny thing is even though the Ray's Studio logo is there, its no where to be found at West Door. Anyway thanks for clearing that up for me.
Its been a while since I posted anything meaningful. Lol.

I beg to differ. I have an RCS1016 Spool (stock original Silver T3 1016 spool) converted to SV. JDream stock spool now SV. Tatula CT stock spool now SV as well. I will post pictures later(wife is on the PC). No drilling holes required. I didnt measure rather I eyed evrything. And took me 3hrs and two Ray's kit to complete the conversion. Once I got it all fown took me 15mins max to convert the Jdream Spool.

I went out in in the back yard with 2ft of snow and bombed/casted/whipped a 3/4oz swimbait as hard as i could. RCS1016-SV Spool absolutely rocked!!! Yes I tried all brake settings and performance of the SV IMO was stronger than stock - though it might just be me.

I am positive my conversion method works as i tried a similar method on an broken SV103 Spool over the summer before I found these Ray's repair kits. And havnt had any issues with the inductor since then.

Maybe I will post a Tutorial since its been yrs since i did one. Lol.
Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**