Broken sv spool

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Broken sv spool

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Just a note or two.

Spools that CANNOT be converted - from what I confirmed:

Original Steez 103/100
T3 1016
TDZ
Presso
Original TD Zillions and Type-R
Original Alphas and variants (Sol, Ito A.I., Type-F, Finesse, etc)
And maybe more

From my experimentation, all the newer reels have a smaller inductor shaft (1mm smaller?) - my guess Daiwa 2012(maybe even later) on up. This better smaller inductor shaft is what the SV inductor is designed to use. So all the older reels have the bigger inductor shaft. The quickest way to find out if the Ray's SV repair kit will work on a reel is to remove the old inductor assembly and see if the Ray's inductor will fit the shaft of said spool in question. And yes i already confirmed for the reels above.

In my boredom over the winter and all my local lakes frozen, i thought it would be fun to see if i can convert a few Steez and TDZ spools i had laying around and inject new life into those reels. I was disappointed at first since I ordered 12 of these Ray's SV repair kits and it's not working for my intended spools. What a waste of $100 I thought. Then one thing lead to another and now, best damn $100 i have spent. Well, maybe not "the" best $100 but we will leave it there. :lol:
Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:16 am

Does the Ray's kit make it better than stock? Or should I just by the little piece from tt?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:17 am

Dustys60 wrote:Does the Ray's kit make it better than stock? Or should I just by the little piece from tt?
I cannot answer that question. But here is some differences that I noticed about the Ray's SV inductor.

1) Ray's inductor cup is about 1-2 mm longer than stock Daiwa
2) Ray's Inductor cup is curved inwards at the end of the Cup like that of the older Mag-V inductor cups.

Casting outside in my backyard like I stated, the stock T3 1016 RCS Spool with the Ray's SV inductor has alot more SV Air braking power than I can remember from my Steez TW1016SVs, SV103s, and Older Steez 103SHA's with SV103 Spools. I can definitely feel it. OR....it could just be me since its been 3-4 months since I casted any of my reels. However, I can state that the performance on the stock T3 RCS1016 Spool is on par with the SV103 spool at the least.

Now if you are just replacing that broken footing white part, then it will probably be more economical to grab the part from TT. However, if you want to see if they Ray's Kit performs better? It should also be of no issue. Reason is, Ray's Kit should be a direct swap with no mod needed for any stock Daiwa SV Spools.

I have my Tatula CT Spool with the Ray's inductor and you can see and feel the air brake but, this non-sv stock CT spool is much heavier than its bigger Tatual CT SV spool if I am right. And with it being heavier, I have no idea how it will perform. I can say for sure and speculate that the performance of a heavier stock spool converted to SV will perform differently from regular SV Spools and even differently from stock non-sv.
Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22 am

PICTURES

Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:24 am

In the pictures above, I added a stock Tatula CT spool to show the original gold inductor. All the original inductor parts are in the marked corresponding Ray's original zip pack bag thingy.

Now the only thing is to get a feel for these converted spool in real time fishing casting scenarios. Alas, it will be 2-4 months before that happens...especially in Minnesota. ](*,)
**What is fishing?**

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 am

So you do have to drill 2 holes for the tabs on the inductor base, correct?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:31 am

adam lancia wrote:So you do have to drill 2 holes for the tabs on the inductor base, correct?
No. I sanded down one of the Ray's bottom footed white part. Then super glued it to the base of the spool. There is a reason why you have to sand it down. Even if there is already teo holes for the bottom footed part to fit, you will quickly see why in these non-sv spools.
**What is fishing?**

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:41 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
adam lancia wrote:So you do have to drill 2 holes for the tabs on the inductor base, correct?
No. I sanded down one of the Ray's bottom footed white part. Then super glued it to the base of the spool. There is a reason why you have to sand it down. Even if there is already teo holes for the bottom footed part to fit, you will quickly see why in these non-sv spools.
I must have missed the part about sanding the nubs off.
Your pictures disappeared by the way.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 am

adam lancia wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:
No you didn't. I didn't go into it much.

I will try to put a Tutorial together. The process seems complicated but it really isn't. After your first conversion, you should be able to do the next one in 30mins or less depending on how much of a perfectionist you are. Me on the other hand, I basically eyed everything and so far after 3 conversions, all of the spools works as good as stock or better.
**What is fishing?**

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:

I will try to put a Tutorial together. The process seems complicated but it really isn't. After your first conversion, you should be able to do the next one in 30mins or less depending on how much of a perfectionist you are. Me on the other hand, I basically eyed everything and so far after 3 conversions, all of the spools works as good as stock or better.
:lol: :lol:
I'd love to see a tutorial, but I'm guessing the paraphrased version goes something like, "remove old inductor assembly, file 2 nubs on new brake block flat, glue lower block to spool, reassemble." I haven't taken any of my project spools apart to verify my assumption though so I could be off by a mile lol

I ordered 4 kits. But like your Minnesota winter, the one out here in Nova Scotia isn't any shorter...

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:

:lol: :lol:
I'd love to see a tutorial, but I'm guessing the paraphrased version goes something like, "remove old inductor assembly, file 2 nubs on new brake block flat, glue lower block to spool, reassemble." I haven't taken any of my project spools apart to verify my assumption though so I could be off by a mile lol

I ordered 4 kits. But like your Minnesota winter, the one out here in Nova Scotia isn't any shorter...
:big grin: You are basically on the correct path as how the conversion will work. There is a little more that goes into it. But that is because its to correct what the Non-SV Spool has vs an actual SV Spool.

:evil: ](*,) I did finish the Tutorial. Went to click the "Submit" button......says I have to "log in". WTF!!! I spent almost 2 hours typing and error correcting and adding my pictures on the Tutorial!!!! AND I JUST LOST everything! :crying: :talk hand:

So gave up and will retype it again when I have free time.
**What is fishing?**

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote: :evil: ](*,) I did finish the Tutorial. Went to click the "Submit" button......says I have to "log in". WTF!!! I spent almost 2 hours typing and error correcting and adding my pictures on the Tutorial!!!! AND I JUST LOST everything! :crying: :talk hand:

So gave up and will retype it again when I have free time.
That's frigging brutal! I look forward to seeing it once you can stand to look at your computer again. Thanks!

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Tutorial is done and up. This time I typed everything up in MS Word and copied pasted onto Tackle Tour. :big grin:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=77657&p=621605#p621605
**What is fishing?**