Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Dalleinf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:30 am

I am tempted by the Zpi nrc001 spools (m and pg) for my collection of compatible reels t3/ryoga/sv103/steez...
However, I rarely fish fluorocarbon, which zpi states is the go-to line for the spools.
Do any of you use the spools with braid (or mono)? How do you like it with non-fluoro...
Thx!

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Dalleinf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 am

Anybody with experience with the ZPI spools and braid?

User avatar
Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
Location: North GA

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Cracker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:27 am

IMO, it shouldn't be a problem with braid over 20lb.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Dalleinf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 am

Cracker wrote:IMO, it shouldn't be a problem with braid over 20lb.


Thank you Cracker. Should I worry about thinner braid - which I normally use - with the spool material? I have never owned a Zpi spool before. If thin braid is a problem, I will use mono...

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby PikeRoadBassn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Cracker wrote:IMO, it shouldn't be a problem with braid over 20lb.


Thank you Cracker. Should I worry about thinner braid - which I normally use - with the spool material? I have never owned a Zpi spool before. If thin braid is a problem, I will use mono...


You should be fine to use any braid you want as long as you use a backing. either mono or a few wraps of electrical tape. One thing to consider is the depth of the PG spool and the diameter of braid. you could spool almost 150-175 yards of most 20lb braids on to the PG spool. If using super thin braid, I would suggest filling the spool close to 1/2 with backing.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Dalleinf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:
Cracker wrote:IMO, it shouldn't be a problem with braid over 20lb.


Thank you Cracker. Should I worry about thinner braid - which I normally use - with the spool material? I have never owned a Zpi spool before. If thin braid is a problem, I will use mono...


You should be fine to use any braid you want as long as you use a backing. either mono or a few wraps of electrical tape. One thing to consider is the depth of the PG spool and the diameter of braid. you could spool almost 150-175 yards of most 20lb braids on to the PG spool. If using super thin braid, I would suggest filling the spool close to 1/2 with backing.


Thanks a lot. I will put backing/tape and thin approx. 10lb braid on the “m” (for trout and perch) and some thicker approx. 30lb braid or 12-15lb mono on the “pg” (for large trout or salmon)...unfortunately, no bass here.
Nice w. input before buying these expensive spools for non-fluoro.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Strewth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:
Cracker wrote:IMO, it shouldn't be a problem with braid over 20lb.


Thank you Cracker. Should I worry about thinner braid - which I normally use - with the spool material? I have never owned a Zpi spool before. If thin braid is a problem, I will use mono...


You should be fine to use any braid you want as long as you use a backing. either mono or a few wraps of electrical tape. One thing to consider is the depth of the PG spool and the diameter of braid. you could spool almost 150-175 yards of most 20lb braids on to the PG spool. If using super thin braid, I would suggest filling the spool close to 1/2 with backing.


Thanks a lot. I will put backing/tape and thin approx. 10lb braid on the “m” (for trout and perch) and some thicker approx. 30lb braid or 12-15lb mono on the “pg” (for large trout or salmon)...unfortunately, no bass here.
Nice w. input before buying these expensive spools for non-fluoro.


Out of interest, did you try one of these spools with braid?

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Dalleinf » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Yes:
Steez SV TWS with NRC001m and 10 lb braid
SV103 with NRC001m and 10 lb braid
Old Ryoga with NRC001m and 20-30 lb braid (do not recall exact thickness of the braid).

The spools work great with braid. No issues whatsoever. I especially love the SV103 nrc001m combo - it is beautiful. I have ordered one more nrc001m for my other SV103 - may try fluoro on that one...

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Strewth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks. Thinking of getting a NRC001M to try in a Steez A, and I only run braid (6lb - 40lb). How good was the spool in the Steez TW?

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Dalleinf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:45 am

The NRC001M is good in the Steez TW. I have the XHspeed steez with 1012G1 spool and the improvement in performance was less than for the SV103 (huge improvement imo). I think it will be great in the Steez A, but I havent tried it...

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Zpi nrc001 m and pg with braid?

Postby Strewth » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:17 am

I run the 1012SV G1 spools in my As and they are great. I guess the improvement would be small if any, but it’s always interesting to try another option....


Return to “Maintenance & SuperTuning Q&A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests